sharpening or change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bubba, Mar 20, 2000.

1. bubba

bubba LawnSite Member

how often do you guys change your<br>blades.<br>how many times can you sharpen them<br>are gator blades good on st.augestine

2. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

This is what stinks: when you sharpen, you are shortening the life of the blade, if you don't sharpen then they go dull and and you can't cut anything. So you sharpen at 45 degrees or about and always sharpen from the top only and take off only enough to make it sharp. Then you really should balance them which means more sharpening on one side. <br>My guys are so bad at bull dozing rocks we sometimes change blades every week. I keep a mower that no one eles rides and sometimes I get a month out of the blades on it. We ride some rough property.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I try to sharpen mine every 8 hours or so. I like new blades and only sharpen em about 5 times before they're trashed.<br>

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I sharpen my blades about once a week and change them when the lift tips wear off. About every 4 months.

5. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

I start each day with sharp blades.If I mow bahia I change after 3 hours of mowing.

6. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

SINCE I STARTED USING DOUBLE BLADES I ONLY CHANGE/SHARPEN EVERY EIGHT-TEN HRS..I USED TO CHANGE TWICE A DAY.SAND-BAHIA IS A MEAN COMBINATION!<br>I USE THE BLADES AFTER THE LIFTS WEAR OUT,OVER TOP OF A NEW SET.BUT BALANCING IS VERY IMPORTANT.<br>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING<br>

7. Alan

Alan Member

I like to sharpen around every 8 hours. I find that the wings are worn off way before I run out of material on the cutting edges. I get a distinct groove at the base of the wing. If left unattended this will actually cut the wing right off so I weld the groove up when it gets noticable. I'll go through about 3 complete sets of blades during the season, which is about 22 mowings up here.