Sharpening Snapper mulching blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jul 2, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Anyone have any tips on sharpening these blades or should I just let my dealer do it ($10/blade and I would have to leave them for a day)? With all the different angles, I just can't do a very good job on my bench grinder.

Thanks,

Joel B.

acc_ninja_cover.gif

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Joel, I just picked up a mulch kit for my 52" hydro WB. I haven't put it on yet because growth is still too rapid right now.
    But mine comes with 3 blades, and I sure as hell wouldn't pay $30 to get them sharpened!
    I will probably be picking up an angle grinder and if that doesn't work, I'll go with a hand file.

I'm really interested to see how these work on my mower. They call it a "mulch kit", but it's really just some funky mulching blades and a block off plate with
    a curved inside. But I got it cheap enough, I figure it's worth a try.

3. Joel B.

from MN

I've got a 52" hydro too and you will like the mulching kit. I've been using it all year and I love it, so do my customers. I have two properties that I picked up because the old LCO just discharged the clippings and they ended up in all the mulch beds. They love it when I mulch. I have had to double cut occasionally but nothing is perfect, life is a compromise. If you follow the "mulching rules" (don't take off too much grass, not too wet, etc) the clippings just disappear.

I have tried hand filing (for about 10 minutes) and said to heck with that, would take way too long. Maybe the hand held grinder is the answer.

Hopefully more will respond.

Joel

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Joel, mind if I ask what you paid for your 52" kit? I had called a dealer and was told something like $250 (If I remember correctly).
    Found a brand new one on eBay for $45 shipped!!
    I'll probably put it on next week. Thanks for the input about yours. I'll try to remember to report back.

5. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I've had pretty good luck with a small side grinder. After a little practice the edge is almost as good as a bench grinder and much faster.

6. Joel B.

from MN

Mine was about $120 but got if free with the mower. I'll be looking for your report.

Joel

7. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I use a small angle grinder on mine. Works good but you might have to use a file to get in the little curved parts. I use the Ninja blades every now and then on a rear engine rider. I hate the cut it leaves but, I guess they work much better on the commercial w/b's.

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

i use a bench belt sander for all my blades, and it is easy to do the Ninja blades on one