1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sharpening Tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, May 23, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I sharpen my blades with a bench grinder, been doing it for about 5 years now. I get them sharp, but they don't stay sharp for long. And repeated sharpening only gets me so much life on the blades. Anyone got any tips for blade sharpening? In case I'm missing something or even to help out the newbies.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't hit stuff!

What are you hitting?

Are you using premium blades?

Some blades are so soft, simply running them over a driveway and picking up the grit on a paved driveway will nick them.

If they're dulling without hitting any sticks or stones, I'd try a different brand of blade.

Here is what I use.....

blade sharpener.jpg
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Keep the blades cool. If they turn blue while sharping you are taking the temper out of them. I dip mine in water to keep them cool as i grind. (i learn that from making tooling for milling machines and lathes)

TLS Do you like your fireball? I am think about buying one this year.
  4. i agree with tommy ..about keeping em cool with what i use to sharpen that aint a problem...you almost have to want to make a blade burn on a magda matic sharperner
  5. cmurphy128

cmurphy128 LawnSite Member

after you sharpen them, take off the edge, this will allow it not to dull as quick
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

mine are doing pretty good this year as sharpness. But I always notice the middle blade gets the most abuse. So far this year I am making a set of blades last about 4-5 weeks before having to replace them.
  7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

What's the price of the fireball 300c?
  8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

For the past two years I have only been sharpening the outer 1" of the blade. I learned this secret from the guy who owns Magna Matic. He told me that only the tip of the blade does the cutting, so why sharpen the whole blade?

Well it's been working wonderful for me, saving me time sharpening and saving my wheels.
  9. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

Please explain how you take off the edge. Thanks
  10. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tip on keeping the steel cool.. im going to keep that in mind.. Mine usually turn all kinds of pretty colors when I sharpen then