Sharpening with a hand file

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, May 15, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have used a wheel grinder to sharpen my blades, but would like to use a hand file, or some other method, but do not know how. what is the method, and where do you buy one? The wheel grinder is just weakening the blade too much and is basically a waste of time. thanks

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gos to sears and get one of those 10" basterd files they work great. :)

3. Expert Lawns

basterd file?

4. lawncare3

Yeah a basterd file is a file that has lives going @ a angle like this: //// on the file. It works great and only cost about $6-

It is also known as a basterd cut.

5. Expert Lawns

When I get this basterd file, how do i sharpen? what method do you use? is there a certain direction to go or a certain way to do it. what about big nicks and chips?

6. T. Matthews

T. Matthews LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

When I shapen I do a rough grid with the grider and then finish with a file ..also buy a blade balancer so you know that your blades are balanced on both ends

7. lawncare3

When u sharpen it use a 45' angle or some kind of angle that will make it stay sharp longer.

I usually sharpen the bottom a little bit just to get the nicks off from the top sharpening.

Do NOT make it so sharp that it will chip easly with a rock or stick hitting it.

Hope this helps. :)