Sharpening Your own blades.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Okielawman28, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Okielawman28

Okielawman28 LawnSite Member

Does any one on here sharpen their own blades, or do they simply have their dealer do it.

What does it typicaly cost per blade.

If you sharpen your own, what is the best way some of you have found that works best for you.

Thanks

Chris

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Do a search and read the 500+ threads related to blade sharpening. It all already posted.

3. exmark 1

exmark 1 LawnSite Member

i pay my dealer 5.00 a piece

4. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I get out my hand grinder and go at them, but I sure wish I could justify a grinder designed specifically for sharpening blades that way I could get the same result all the time.

5. saylorsdad

saylorsdad LawnSite Member

not trying to hijack the thread what is the best angle to sharpen blades
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Bench grinder and angle grinder here. About the simplest thing in the world - I can't imagine paying someone to do it...

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Actually, you are paying someone, yourself, in money saved from paying someone else to do them. :D

8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

30 degree ........................................................................

9. Littleriver1

Oh, let the thread run. I need to read it all again.

10. Littleriver1

It really all depends on how many blades you are going through, and that depends on how many and the size lawns you cut. If you are changing 3 or 4 mowers with 3 blades each every day then you need a blade sharpener. If you're only doing 2 or 3 blades every couple a days then you can use a hand held 4 inch grinder. It's the same as every thing else. The best equipment you can get is always better. It all comes down to cost.