Sharper Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madmow, May 31, 2003.

1. madmow

madmow LawnSite Member

It seems that no matter how well I think I have sharpened my blades, I get a few stragglers. What system do you use to test how sharp your blades are? ex: Blade can cut piece of paper; etc.

What is the best blade brand? Longest Lasting?

2. There was a thread about this just two days ago. It should be 3-4 pages back at the most. I sharpen my blades to 1/32” to 1/64” edge radius (about the same edge as a butter-knife). Any sharper than that and the edge dulls to the above sharpness in just a matter of minutes.

If you’re sharpening anywhere near that sharp and still getting stringers, it’s not a sharpness issue. Assuming they’re the correct size, are your blades in good condition? Are they warped? Nicked at the end?

Are you mulching or discharging? Mulching or even just a cover over the discharge chute will load the deck with cut grass. As that cut grass rolls around under the deck, it’ll push some of the uncut grass down, leaving stragglers. If that’s the case, you’re going too fast for your setup. You'll have to either slow down or get an engine with more horsepower to maintain rpm's (& blade rotation speed).

3. madmow

madmow LawnSite Member

Steel, The blades are pretty nicked up at the ends. thanks for your reply. I will check out the other post. Thanks.

B-rad
    Madden's Mowing

4. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Bluesteel - Yes, i started that thread. "blade sharpening question" a few days ago.

Madmow - check it out. lots of useful info came out of it.

In that same thread i was complaining that i had stringers, and i was sharpening my blades, changing spacers around, blah blah blah ..... yesterday i figured out what it was, and it was pretty funny. The throttle would not stay on full blast. You could push it forward, and it would ease itself backwards every so slightly. Actually my brother borrowed it and told me. I havent mowed with it in about a week, so i was clueless. When i told my forman about it, he was just like "oh yeah it been doing that" he got an ear banging.

Im still experimenting, so i couldnt tell you whats the best way to sharpen your blades quite yet. Check back in a few weeks. I should have it fine-tuned by than.