1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sharping Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by postman, May 8, 2005.

1. postman

postman LawnSite Member

do you have to spend alot of money on a blade grinder to sharpen blades correctly or can you use a regular bench grinder to do the same job.thanks for your help :waving:
  2. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a simple 6 dollar file and do a perfect job sharpening my blades...you don't need to be able to shave with the blade, as they don't even come like that from the factory...
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Simply get a hand held 90 degree grinder, can't use bench grinders on most blades any way. The blade may not be perfect but it is good enough.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I sharpen up to as many as 60 blades a week with a 1 HP bench grinder...been doing it for 11 years now too.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The shop I used to work at uses a bench grinder and one of the guys uses an angle grinder. I haven't had any problems in 3 years with them.
  6. Cut-Rite2

Cut-Rite2 LawnSite Member

I bought a $29.00 bench grinder from Lowe's. This is not your typical bench grinder though....it is especially designed for sharpening knives and lawn mower blades. The grinding wheel is about 1.25 or 1.5 inches wide, about 8 or 9 inches tall and has a water basin at the bottom to keep the wheel wet. The wheel rotates much slower than a regular bench grinder, and with the water basin filled, you don't have to worry about burning the metal. It has a guide on the front to rest the blade on for different grinding angles and to help keep the blade at or near parallel to the horizontal plane of the wheel. It puts a great cutting edge on the mower blades and definitely was worth the $29 in my opinion. It also will put a real good edge on those flat-tipped screw drivers and old Ginsu knives you might have in the bottom drawer of the kitchen cabinet. :D
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

To answer the question "you ask", a regular bench grinder will sharpen a standard blade just as fast and as well as a $400/$600 dedicated machine.
    Anything else is up to you..........
  8. SeacoastDesignsL&L

SeacoastDesignsL&L LawnSite Member

How long ago did you purchase the grinder, if lowes still has them I def will go pick one up and give it a try. Anything that will save the $40 a week I spend on having the blades sharpened at a shop is worth a try.
  9. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

If the wheel is wet it must be slinging water when you use it. Do you wear a raincoat and boots? For $29 it must be a tiny motor with no power. When you press the blade too hard against the wheel it probably will stop. Please post a picture and model number.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got a neary 410 grinder. Trust me there is a difference. Its much faster. I did the bence grinder too long. I burned up two of them.