Shattered Window Who's at Fault?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TnT, May 23, 2002.

1. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

On Monday, we were at a Day Care Center mowing. Tuesday, 24 hours later I get a call from the Director saying that my company was out mowing and we broke their window at thier day care. I talked to the employee that was trimming a he said that didn't brake the window or even notice that their window was broken. I also, was in the area and didn't notice any broken glass. Can a trimmer pick-up a rock shatter a window 5 foot away at low h.p.?
    Basically, it's my word against thier word? What do I do? Agree to 50% at fault? Insurance ded. $250.00. Wil my insurance go up for one claim? The window is 3' x3.

Thanks for your help!

2. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

We get a couple of these calls a year and just send out the glass repairman. Hopefully the account is worth the cost of the window. It never ceases to amaze me how easily some of the windows shatter.

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

A string trimmer will do that.
    We broke one at a Red Lobster a couple weeks back, from across the parking lot. Our operator saw it happen, and reported it right away. We had the window replaced within 2 hours. Manager thought our poop didn't stink because we had it fixed so quickly. $700 smackers too... ouch.

Cost of doing business at times.
  4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Your in a situation to prove that your the company the day care should hire. It's possible that the employee did not realize or is scared to say that he/she did it.
    Don't even try to deny or blame 50/50.

We had a string trimmer break a side van window. They were sent 2 minutes down the road to a glass repair and were on their way, fixed up.
    We did not go through insurance ... not worth it. The bill was for over $500.00

Count your blessings that glass did not break and fall on some little kid.
  5. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

If the account is worth keeping then go ahead and just repair the window. Chaulk it up to goodwill, **** happens, feather in your cap or whatever. But just fix it. Otherwise you might loose this account and a whole lot more.
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't had the need to use it, but isn't this why I carry liability insurance with no deductable????
  7. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

That's great if you have no deductable, but your premiums are higher because of it. Also, your premiums may go up even more after the incident because you are filing more claims. To each their own, some like no deductable, some don't.
  8. higherpower

higherpower LawnSite Member

Show that your company is headed by a responsivble person and accept responsibility. In the long run it will pay off. I have an account that pays me about $14,000 per year and I broke a window to the owner's wife car. I did not see it happen but I believed it very possible that i caused it. I had it repaird immediately. I've had my contract renewed for next 5 years. Not a bad investment! This are called accidents. Your employee did not mean to do it. It could happen to anybody.
  9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Pay it, you would never win the argument.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Suck it up and don't even call the insurance company. Even if you pay they put a note in the file and it comes up on a run loss sheet. I know, it happened to me. I had a 200.00 bill that I paid out of pocket but I reported it prior to getting estimates. I called and told them that there was no problem and they wouldn't have to pay but they make a note anyway.

An insurance agent told me that insurance is for the big losses that you can't absorb. Anything else is one step closer to being dropped.