1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

she came out waving her arms

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 5, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

don't u love it, when u show up, start cutting, and they come out waving thier arms like , in a panic? i do the neighbor, so this lady came over 2 weeks ago asking for service. i said sure, i come once a week to cut your crappy nutsedge lawn, for $30 per. ok? she said, "yup, sign me up." great. i cut last week. i go back this week, i'm on my second pass, i see the curtains move...oh no, here she comes, charging me like a linebacker, waving her arms, with a butt like a buffalo, "no, no, i didn't want it cut this week." i immediately stepped off the jungle wheel platform, shut the machine off, and said, "what, WHAT is THE PROBLEM???" she says, "well, it just doesn't need it this week." i said, "did u call? did u leave a messege? i got news for ya, i don't do this cus i like getting burned alive by the sun." she says she only wants it when it needs it. i said, "you have a choice, you will pay for last week, and this week, i made two passes already, u want me to finish? either way you are paying." she says ok, finish, and we will just do it on a "as needed"basis? i said, "no, i'm sorry, this isn't going to work." she says, "ok then, you'll send a bill?" i said, "nope, i'll take $60 cash, before i leave here today. i'll be here 40 minutes between you and your neighbor, the bank isn't far, if u hurry, we won't have a problem." i CAN'T STAND this time of year, they expect you to run around and look at thier lawn, if it don't need it, they want u to go away. think i'll take the week off next week.
  2. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

lmao @ I'll be here 40 mins. the bank ain't that far away. good one, good one.
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

:p Good one BG! Banks a few min. away, gotta charge her a surcharge for anything time over the 40 min though.
  4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

youre prices sound too low. i charge $40 on 20 min. lawns. $50 on one times or first times, $45-$50 on corner lots or bigger yards. maybe next year raise price $5 on everyone. say its high gas and insurance prices. sorry, bit off the topic. i tell my customers they pay me to decide when thier yard needs to be mowed or when it doesnt.
  5. schumany

schumany LawnSite Member

I know what you mean Bobby. I have to call this customer every time to let him know that I'm coming. One time he told me that the lawn didn't need it (translation: I don't have the money). This past week I went to cut it, only to find the back gate locked. Now I have to come back and cut the back tomorrow. Lucky for me I have one nearby I need to cut tomorrow anyway, so it's 10 minutes in and out. It's just some people always have a problem.
  6. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

The thought of that makes me nuts! Good thing to just be done with her. Good description of the scene too.
  7. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i have a good one for you, i have a guy that has about an acre or so, i charge him $60, around this time of year, he calls me,and tells me to mow every other week, but does he call chem lawn and tell them to do the same? NO! so i mow his lawn, all is well, i get home and hes yelling at me on the phone, because his perfect lawn that was 8 inches tall , is now all clumps!!!!
    i swear next year im going to get rid of him!!!!! even though i need the work....
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

When they gotta wade through their front yard to move around, then they try and get you to cut it. So you put more wear on your equipment, and they want to jip you outta your work because they "dont need it every week" LMAO. This is the typical customer down here for me.
  9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Yep,,, you are their best friend when it is growing super fast & they love it when you pull up. But if it's even a little dry or early in the season, they act like you are their drunk uncle pulling in the driveway & wonder what the hell you want. :)