1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

She didn't sign a contract so i got $200... did i get ripped off??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Army-Guard89, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Army-Guard89

Army-Guard89 LawnSite Member

Ok, this is what happened. I offered the lady my services to install new mulch(Removed the old mulch, weeded the garden, and installed new mulch) so she went and got her own on her way home on day. I spent about 8 hours working on the mulching, and weeding cracks in her driveway.

Once we were finished i wanted atleast 600. She told me it was to much and its not her fault because we didnt discuss the pricing but i told her before hand everything is listed on my website if she ever has pricing questions. She checked it out and accepted it.
    But she ended up only giving me 200 because what can i do she didnt sign a contract.

Rookie move i know, I just started and thought people had integrity.

There was 20 cubic yards. Check out my work on my website

2. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

It is just like getting a car repaired.If a customer asks you ball park a figure.Did you ball park a figure with her ? If not I would not have accepted the 200 dollars and given her a bill.If you are a legit business tell her to pay or take her to small claims court.Only costs $10 bucks I think.
  3. Army-Guard89

Army-Guard89 LawnSite Member

Im not legit till next week once i get the money from another job. getting insurence and also license(if thats how its spelled)
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Signing a contract has nothing to do with the issue. Having an agreed-upon price is what matters.
  5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, never just do a job and then tell them what the price is.(The customer always thinks is going to be cheaper) I have a friend that gets his customer's leaves up in the fall and he don't discuss price and when he gives the price they just about sh%t in their pants. Around 80.00 an hour is usually what he charges. Needless to say he loses some accounts over this.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are fools if you think a piece of paper printed up with some fancy ink is going to fix your problems,
    you best remember few customers are the kind who are the only ones to sign, your signature goes on there too
    and you might think nothing of that but once you sign it you are bound to that piece of paper that unscrupulous
    customers tear some inexperienced LS legalese apart in seconds flat and then you're even worse off than now.

Because it's not that she didn't sign a contract ...

There is your whole problem, heck you even admitted it.

Contracts can't fix that :p
    So maybe it is better to learn how the system works then do it properly.
    Because you will see, here on LS every Lco is also a lawyer LOL
  7. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Army Guard your website is ok, but u really should not go on google n copy n paste landscaping pictures from other sites. Just a little insight.
  8. yard_smart

yard_smart LawnSite Senior Member

A ligit business???? LMAO did you see his prices?

and you might be able to get a lil more money out of here if you freaking employees had company shirts or at min ANY SHIRT!!! that is just not professional. The first time i catch an employee with out a shirt on they are fired on the spot!

As far as your problem bite the bullet and fix whats broken. . . ALWAYS discuss price and present a proposal/quote. Get this signed and your good to go . . . another thing man you really need to get some ins. its only like 75 bucks a month. You hand a customer a copy as soon as you step foot on their property and instantly you given some sort of credibility which means more money!!!
  9. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Why Mulch?

Mulching helps make your garden look beutiful. Here are a few benefits of mulch.

This is from your mulch area. If you want to be taken serious, run everything through spell check first. Beautiful!

Just trying to help, not pick!

D. Jackson

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR LawnSite Member

I believe you don't need a contract if the monetary amount is below $500. A verbal contract will hold up in court. I only do contracts if the amount will be more than that.