She had the nerve to call me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65hoss, Apr 22, 2001.

1. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I cut this womans lawn last year. Her boyfriend lives about 2 miles away and I did his also. He was always a slow payer. Then the last payment took him about 4 months to send me. The girlfriend owes me money still. I left several messages and bills since last fall. No response.

She has the nerve to call me this morning. "Phil (boyfriend) needs your help. He's having an argument with the spraying company and wants me to help him. Oh, by the way I think I owe you some money. You can cut my grass in about 2 weeks and I'll pay you what I owe you."

I promise I will be there in 2 weeks. But ONLY TO COLLECT MY MONEY. Then she is on her own. I still can't get over the fact that she actually called me.

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

kinda like "Free Beer" ..... it's always Tomorrow ....:->

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

people are stupid like that...

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

it takes all kinds and that kind is one of my favorites
    they got so much class, kinda makes you wanta put your sunday clothes on to do their yd

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Tell her you need money up front if she still wants you to do work for her this season.

If she paid me 1 week or month ahead of scheduele, I'd do it. If he didn't pay on time (early, technically) I just wouldn't go.

Easy as pie to fix this problem.

But if you don't need the work I suggest you turn your back and find some better customers to replace these.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea, I agree you better get your money in advance before the first cut. I did this to one of my female customers too. She mails me a check and then I cut. Problem is she is late with the check letting the grass get high. So I gave her another and final warning this year to be on time with the check or idios.

7. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

One more time “the lawn guy” is last on the list she/he lives in a 30,60,90 day world however that does not mean you have to. Get the money owed to you and send them down the road. Had this happen before “ oh our budget is tight” and what do I see in the driveway a week after we terminate? A big shinny RED SUBURBAN 2000 MODEL.

People will use you if they can and not blink an eye, you will find better customers.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd get your money, then find a new customer to replace her(and the boyfriend). Chances are down the line , she'll bouce checks or give you a sob story.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

She's not that stupid, guess she figures that if you were stupid enough to let them take you for a ride on your dime last year, maybe they would try again for more free lawn service...

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

in addition to her wanting it cut in two weeks, it looked like a weed field about two weeks ago. i say we collect when we are out that way and tell her thanks but no.