she just doesn't get it!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Papa Wheelie, May 28, 2004.

1. Papa Wheelie

Papa Wheelie LawnSite Member

older lady, beautiful house, very well off. Thats the set-up.
    she thinks that she can determine my price because the cust. is always right. She thinks that she can tell me exactly what time to show up and what time to be gone by. Is very rude to my helper and calls him "BOY or GUY" all of the time. I have to tell her every week, "you cannot stand out here and watch us because of a risk of injury" and she gets mad. Today she comes out with her 2 yr old granddaughter while I am on the Dane and my helper is edging. tell her it is not safe, she gets mad and asks why, as if it isn't self explanitory.
    I know i should drop her but it is fun to talk about all the funny and stupid sh!t she does so I think I will keep going for a little while longer.

Anyone else have those kinds?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

dump her now, that's just trouble waiting to happen. don't let her be a liability!

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have one of those. PITA

4. Stephen M.

Stephen M. LawnSite Member

I always tell the customer that I guarantee the day, but not the time. If something happens that I can't get my crew to them on the guaranteed day, they will be in the next day.

They don't dictate price. If they agreed to the price that gets me in, it won't go down unless I decide to give a rare break.

If they are a problem customer, they are welcome to take their chances with somebody else. I get personal enjoyment we I fire the customer!!

5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I AGREE WITH MIKELT1Z28!!! Dump her now. Anyone dumb enough to stand out there and watch you operate equipment is bad enough, but to bring a child out to watch is criminal. And she will sue you in a heartbeat.

I have broken windows with rocks flung from both mowers and weedeaters--on nice lawns where I had no clue there was a lurking rock. The rock that will break glass will cut flesh, break a tooth, or put out an eye. I personally NEVER want to see a child with blood streaming down her face from something I have done.

And yes we all get those kinds of customers.

6. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Yes....

and the advice to dump the account was well founded....

but you already know that....

Obviously some of your bottom line is at risk, better to take a small loss in $$ than to experience what you fear could happen in adverse conditions. Even if some of her neighbors are clients, chances are you could discreetly explain the situation and hold their accounts no harm / no foul.

Your complaint really strikes a nerve with me. I've got about ten new homes on the (rural) road I live on. One (stupid) woman pushes her baby in a stroller walking with traffic. No biggie if she just went a house or so but she goes over a dangerous hill with a major blind spot. If she followed the letter of the law and walked opposing traffic--or at the very least did it at the hill it wouldn't bug me. I crossed the hill 2 days ago at 50mph or so, could have easily blasted her and the baby had they been 15 feet back from where they were. Made me wanna get out and scream! I don't give a r___'s a__ about her, but the baby definitely doesn't deserve such a stupid woman in charge of his or hers well being.

With any client, and I don't care who they are or what they think they might be, I always stress the dangers of power equipment. Don't come tap me on the shoulder while I'm running a trimmer, you might just get more than you bargained for!

7. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I'll tolerate a little pain in the assism but NOT being outside while were mowing. A customer must be inside or at the least in the front when I'm in the back otherwise I'll pack up and tell them why.

8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

"Dump her now" I don't say that much. This one could get costly. Kind of like the lady that falls down every time shes in Wal Mart.
    Bill

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Wonder how she got the Nice house and all the money? Sounds like a liability claim waiting to happen!

10. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck LawnSite Member

Accident waiting to happen. When I was three years old my mom was mowing the back yard and I was playing inside the garage. The garage door was open and a small rock shot out from the mower and hit me above the eye. I was very fortunate not to have lost my eye. She was distraught and really felt guilty about it (even nearly 30 years later). She thought I would be safe inside the garage since it only opened directly to a small part of the yard.

Dump the customer. Sounds like she has more money than brains and a real control complex as well.