She thinks my bill is unreasonable

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irritation, Jul 17, 2012.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i received a nice letter today concerning http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367642&highlight=veterans
    and the fact that i haven't been paid yet, guess what? this turned out to be a he said / she said finger pointing mess that will cost more than what it's worth to collect.

i would rather work for HO's any day than work for new to me contractors, my list of gripes goes on for days but i think of one thing in this instance. the little bit i lost pales in comparison to what they gave.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Stick it to 'em Jimmy :)

3. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i got that two weeks ago...we have a full maintenance customer who wanted me to come over to check out a head that she thinks is watering the neighbors yard...so i check it out and nothing was wrong...i was only there maybe 10 minutes so i tacked on $25 to her regular bill...it was only $25 because she is a great customer and does full maintenance...she didn't agree with the additional charge but she paid it, she's lucky it wasn't at least double that...it's hard to make everyone understand our side

4. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

DAMN I'm too cheap. $50 an hr here, some guys are $60.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

putting a lien on a cemetery would be kind of weird

6. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i agree...$95/hour is crazy money, i would love to get that...i also only charge $50 right now because i'm still fairly new...once i feel like i can diagnose most problems and fix things the correct way i will charge about $65, that seems to be the going rate around here...there is one company from the area that charges $85/hr. they are new to irrigation, what they have going for them though is they are a huge company with a great reputation in the green industry...

7. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

Take this for what it is worth since I know many never take my advice:cool2:

PLEASE RAISE YOUR RATES TO MATCH ALL THE REAL IRRIGATION CONTRACTORS IN YOUR AREA.

You will have a hard time explaining to your customers the increase when you all of a sudden decide to change.

$50.00?????

We are $85.00 per hour for residential and $95.00 for commercial service work. A tech will time-in to Hindsite when he leaves the shop, gets to the job, completes the job, then they time out and time in to the next service call. This process continues daily until the last service call which will be billed 30 more minutes of drive time back to the office.

This year we had some customers used to pricing from years ago and they were not happy when they got their bill, we explained and justified our prices. Some of them left and some we even dropped, all the others jumped onboard and the best were the one's that called back a few days later:clapping:

It was fun telling a few EX-customers that ran their mouths, that we were no longer interested in their business.

8. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Last year we had one where there was no power going to the electrical outlet for the controller. Quick check of the fuse box showed a piece of equipment on the same circuit trip the breaker. Customer didn't like the 123.00 bill to flip the switch.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

mine was much more involved than flipping a switch but along the same line that the RP was out of their comfort zone and ability.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I'm too cheap; my competitors are getting from $105.00 to as high as $165.00 I'm aware of.