She thinks my bill is unreasonable

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irritation, Jul 17, 2012.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We are $70 for the first half hour, and $70 per hour after that. So the first hour is $105.
    For new customers this summer, I'm quoting $75-$80. Some take it, some don't. For my area, I am on the high end. There are only 1-2 companies higher than us, other than maybe some of the larger companies that have their commercial accounts.

There was a system we shut down last fall that had an old gate valve. About two weeks after we shut it down, the GV isn't holding and water starts dripping out of the drain just past it, onto the floor. She couldn't get a hold of us, and rather than put a bucket under it, she called a plumber. All they did was tighten the GV a bit and it stopped. They were there for less than 10 minutes she said. $100, and she tried getting me to pay for it.

2. Raising rates is tough when you have lots of longtime customers. I raised it 5.00/yr/hr regardless of the competition's prices.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

There was one year when I went to the half hour service call fee, and raised the additional hour rate, that did not go over well with customers. Best decision I have made. Weeded out a lot of cheap customers and poor systems.

4. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

We drop low margin accounts semi-annually. We are full right now and not adding people till after the elections. If we pick up a solid high end account, well drop a low end or PIA the next house cleaning.

5. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Unreal, that would never float in my area.

Up to $80 yes as some folks will call a plumber to fix sprinkler issues, but that is the upper end of what folks would tolerate.

Some even beech about $50.

6. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Most of our business is commercial or HOA

7. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

maybe next time work for most of an hour doing an irrigation check and adjusting some heads--

should have told her it is 'item pricing', not 'per hour' pricing for the trip--the charge to diagnose a failing system, for your experince and efficiency is $95-flat rate

LI15573

8. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I called and left a quick message. "I'm sorry you feel my bill is unreasonable but it is not, please pay whatever you think is right and find another company to service your sprinkler system."

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

then file a lien :mad: