1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

she wants to be off by 2:00 p.m.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Sep 7, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We're now entering our "fall push"....round 4, aerations, and round 5, plus tree/shrub feedings --all of which we have to completed by Thanksgiving. This means 3000 lawns per application plus aerations. My guys worked an average of 35 hours per week during Round 3 (summer), and we gave them some Friday's off too. But now we need to get a lot done in a short period of time.

I have one or two employees who think this is an 8 to 5 job now. They come up with excuses everyday.

We start at 7:00, yet these employees expect to be done by 2:00 p.m.

They seldom call (via Nextel two-way radios) to see if anybody else needs help cuz they just want to punch the time clock and go home. This situation has caused a rift with the rest of my appilicators, and I can see why.

Anybody else experience this same prob?
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Do you start at your customers at 7:00 am?

I have always been afraid to start this early as customer could still be in bed or something!

I always wait until 8 or 8:30.

What time do you all start in the morning?
  3. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Your the boss, you set the work hours. You've got work available if they want it. The only available work today is a 12 hour day, there isn't an 8 hour workday available today. If they don't want the work that's available, they can always turn it down and find work somewhere else.

You need to face this head on and just tell them what the hours are.
  4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

reech - i like to avoid sleeping people, kids waiting for the bus in their lawn, mom and dad walking back and forth to their vehicle - so i also start around 8:30

american - seems they got use to the easy days(short work days and weeks due to the heat), you might have created a monster so to speak, even though you did it to keep them comfortable, you got to put your foot down, your the boss, you scratched their back, now its time for some payback:) its their job, do they want it?
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow...This is something to consider. Maybe a sitdown mandatory meeting with everyone? I'll tell you what....I certainly like the idea of communicating with the others to see if and when they need help...especially if you can get people on their outer borders of their routes. I would love to see your coordination and routing procedures. I know I could and would love to learn all I could from you and an outfit your size. Incidentally, I'm almost certain you've probably mentioned it here before, but what routing software do you use? QXpress? Realgreen?
    I hope your employee issues get worked out with a minimal amount f problem to you.
  6. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

we work till we get done, sometimes 8 or 9 at nite if they need off then they know to let me know a couple of days in advance so i can schedule around that, Im pretty easy to get along w/ them cause they are willing to work some long hrs. the more we get done today the less we have at the end of the week !!!!
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I quess that is why I am glad I am a one man show! Although it is overwhelming at times trying to do everything myself...it is worth it!

I work until the work is done and don't have to worry about anyone wanting off early! Have my dad help me when covered up, but making good money and don't have the headaches or "people" working for me!
  8. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

It sounds like your no longer "the boss."
  9. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. They've lost respect and walk over you. Especially when you do such nice things for them like finance their cars, lend cars to them, etc etc. You've become their friend.
  10. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Give everyone 'the meeting' and promise end of season bonus's based on work performance, relative to other employees. Make an example of someone.. "Ed.. you keep leaving at 2pm, and it shows me that you don't take your job very seriously. Work on it"

So.. Then they've had a warning.. They have competition, and a reward.. If not of this gets 'em going... Rehire.