SHEARING??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kutnkru, Feb 27, 2001.

1. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I was just curious what you guys/gals find to be more productive. I see a pretty good mix of contractors who use gas powered hedge shears or electric shears run off of generators.

I was just curious what has worked best for you, and any pros and cons beside cutting of the cords??

Thanks for the input.
    Kris

2. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

We use gas shindaiwa hedge trimmers and I would never give it up for a corded hedger. The gas hedger is awesome and tears through bushes like butter.

3. russman

russman LawnSite Member

I have used the electric hedge trimmers off a generator and it works great, especially if you have more than one person doing the trimming. With more than one person working it pays for the generator and is less expensive than two gas powered trimmers

4. kutnkru

I was wondering if anyone thought it might be cheaper. We have done it both ways, and I tend to agree with you Russ because with a four port generator you've got more than one machine running, etc.

The other thing that I like about the electric is that with the electric the guys can listen to tunes with their ear protection, and I noticed they didnt get as fatigued as quickly with the gas powered units.

I am also thinking that unlike when we are on a commercial site that the screaming engines are less than desireable, and with the electric they are much more tolerated. Usually this way all they do is see us out the window not get interference as well. I had a lady trying to give a seminar one day and they actually requested that we return at a later date because of the noise factor.

Kris

5. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

I'm not sure I believe it when they say that using a gen. is cheaper. I believe whoever said it but, the cost for a full tank of gas/oil in a gas hedge trimmer can't be more than 50 cents. No generator to buy either. Plus no time dealing with PITA cords. Gas powered is a little heavier, yes, but I think the're more powerful and versatile than electric. I've used both and I love the Echo extended hedge trimmers. Get one or two. Strange to get used to at first and then it's great. Much less ladder work. I did like the Little Wonder electric, but I say go gas. Just my humble opinion.

[Edited by lawnboy11 on 02-27-2001 at 06:58 PM]

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

russ--I don't see how you make the math work on this. not to argue with you, I just don't see it. can you offer some numbers?

GEO

7. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

if it ain't got a gas engine with stihl wrote on it(hedge trimmers), then I ain't gonna be using them.

8. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Electic works best for me . Do homes so there is a 110 outlets all the time. Less fatigue ,noise and no two-cycle smell. Like to do less though, the energy/money made ratio isn't as good as other things.

9. kutnkru

LawnBoy11/GeoI guess that if you figure that under heavy shearing conditions that a tank will run a trimmer for about 20 minutes full bore. Lets say fuel is 1.49/gl and 2 cycle oil is $.98/2.5gls. I figure about 24 tanks per 8/hr day and at 10/gls per day thats $18.82 or $2.35/hr for gas powered equipment. If you figure the right sized generator will give you up to 6 hrs on a tank of fuel and oil costs are even less, I would estimate $13.21 for an 8/hr day and thats $1.65/hr for a savings of $.70/hr.

Mike I beg to differ on the productivity rates of shearing services. I figure we avg around:
    $42/hr per machine for mowing
    $32/hr per unit for line trimming
    $28/hr per hour for hand labor
    and $60-75/hr for shearing.

I would say this is a pretty profitable service.
    Kris

10. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I used to use electric but I just recently bought some gas hedge trimmers and I absolutely love them..They're more agile and easier to get in tough areas...I just love them...Derrick