shed pads

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by freddyc, Jan 14, 2007.

1. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you guys do the site prep for storage or utility sheds??

Just wondering...looks straight forward and I was wondering if you can make a decent buck at it??

The prep I'm thinking is...

--remove the top few inches of soil

--add stone (3/4")

--level

--take away old soil

--ask customer if you can do the rest of their maintenance while you're there

This is for relatively flat and clear area---stump removal or more substantial grading would be extra.

2. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

Only thing I'd add to your steps is I'd use 3/4 minus and compact with a small plate compactor.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It's not rocket science. Just make sure you get it level & you have enough rock down to spec. If they are planning on pouring a pad, save the soil & level it out once the pad has been poored. Shoot for the landscaping around the building once they're all done building it.

4. freddyc

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasnt considering a compactor as most of these sheds are relatively small, and set up on 4 x 4 frames. Although therea lot of sizes, there seems to be a load of say 8 x 12' or 10 x 12' sizes installed. There are bigger ones, but the majority I see around here are mainly for mower storage and so on.

Also, good point on the landscape adder--- I was thinking more of lawn maintenance but the shrub installs are right there in front of my face!

With regard to the sitework itself, any idea if it would be profitable?? I would be using a tiny skid steer, and my F350 dump. I cant imagine people would want to pay a lot for a standard flat type area.

I see a lot of these sheds going in, but its hard to tell how many the homeowners are doing the pad on. There are not a lot of poured pads that I see....maybe because these are usually done on larger sheds/garages???

I would be looking for a niche here as an added profit area. Have you guys done any personally or know anyone who is??

thanks,

5. carcrz

I've done a few, but I don't advertise it. It seems like the people that put those up always ty to nickel & dime me. If they are putting up a shed for mower storage, how do you plan on getting their maintenance? Just a thougt. I guess if they were getting older, but don't want to sell their mower.

6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

it depends on how the owner is wanting to set up for the shed. as was said most are on 4x4's. i did one for a guy that wanted a full pad underneath the 20x40 shed. didn't question why just did what he wanted. i put a few inches 2" or better packed that then a couple crusher run packed. it was a fun quickie job. if the owner wants footers for the 4x4's that would be easy as well. it is very easy to just put the building on blocks, level it and call it a day. i don't think that is a gold mine market but when the job is there they aren't bad to do.
    good luck,

7. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

I think it would be pretty hard to make enough to cover your expenses or time on pads for small sheds. In my area most people usually just sit them on the ground and level them with treated lumber. Now pads for pole buildings and rental storage buildings can be very profitable, if you have the equipment to do that size work.

8. freddyc

I was really only thinking of the smaller stuff. Larger areas would be better off done with larger equipment than I have. It wouldnt be productive for me to look at any major storage area site work.

It's true a lot of people just set them on the ground.....I see a lot of doors that don't open well after they settle for a while. Also, the stone underneath adds a little decorative look and allows water to drain better for a little less mud in the spring.

Long story short, I was figuring it would probably take a few hours under normal conditions to get one done...any idea if someone would spend a few hundred bux to get that done?

I agree that if its for mower storage then the homeowner is probably not after a lawn service, however, there's probably times when they just need a little extra space too. A woman I work with has a shed full to the brim...she also has a lawnservice. Turns out she's divorced and the mower is just sitting in the shed...you never know.

9. carcrz

doubt it. If you already have the equipment, why not add it as a service. It doesn't cost you any more than doing a landscaping project. If I were going to push the service, I would talk to the guys that actually sell the sheds so they can push your name w/ the purchase.

10. Mjh Excavating

Mjh Excavating LawnSite Member

We do about fifteen of them a year, good fill in work. In and out in under 2. I've heard some shed companies get around $800 . Most of the time we are already there and throw it in quick. Usuallly make it 2 feet bigger all the way around, that way crybaby shed guys can hit the pad.