sheep mowing white house

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hustlers, Sep 23, 2001.

1. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I was reading that sheep were sent all over government
    lawns and gardens during world war 2 to replace the gardeners by mowing and weeding the turf.
    I think we should think of more environmentally profitable
    ways to cut grass.
    Did you know they keep it around 2 inches tall, they keep weeds out and it always looks good,
    They have pellets which rapidly decompose to fertilize the
    area for free. \
    comments please
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen many who still use the old fashioned "push-type" reel mowers on their lawns. The only problems with these units is if there are uneven terrains on the properties, its harder to be efficient.

I do believe that in 2047 the petro is going to be depleated and conventional diesel/gas engines are going to be obsolete.

Glad I plan to have retired by 2045 - LOL!!!
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, sheep will take the turf down to the roots if given the chance. Depending on where you live what are you going to do with them in the off season,, buy hay for them. Fences, sheep sh// manure to walk in, kids eating all the Glosette raisins before they decompose, etc.
  4. plow kid

plow kid Banned

kutnkru, he is talking about sheep, as in "BAAAA! BAAAA! Black sheep have you any wool?"

I have used reel mowers on our lawn and I like them so when all the gas is gone I won't have a problem with pushing one on our lawn but people better be prepared to pay dearly for that kind of work2 acres with a reel mower, $1000[​IMG]
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I was giving my comments that he asked for.

Does this mean that environmentally profitable is strictly related to sheep??? Id like to think not.

LOL!!! :laugh:
  6. plow kid

plow kid Banned

ok, but his post was based on sheep

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

You kids play nice or I won't let you stay at the petting zoo!!

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Quite a few farm tractor guys have used propane for fuel - it's supposed to be rather low on emissions - anyone use it for lawn mowing?
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

cantoo is right about what sheep do to turf . its why the old cattle men didnt likeum. course any animal thats hungry is going
    graze out if hes that hungry.
  10. Sheep can do alot of damage to a lawn if not managed properly. They will tear the plant out by the roots and they eat around some of the weeds.

A local conservation trust is using sheep and goats to contol aggressively invasive poison ivy and bittersweet on an island property. They have to be carefully managed by a shepherd and electric fencing. There are appropriate uses for sheep

There have been many warnings about the depletion of oil and gas. More new oil and gas have been discovered in the last twenty years that was once though to exist in total. As the price goes up investment in exploration and technology increases the supply, the efficiency with which we use it and the alternatives available to replace it.

The development of the very efficient stirling engine may soon overcome certain engineering problems. When this happens everyone can generate their own electricity on site for home and business very economically.

We are also going to see the development of the hydrogen economy as a gas fuel and for electriciy from fuel cells. And don't give me the Hindenberg story or the Challenger disaster. The Hindenberg fire started in structure and the people were killed by the burning diesel fuel. The Challenger fire was in the solid fuel boosters. Neither was a hydrogen disaster.

There is a great deal of hope and promise for the energy future.