1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sheesh, some people are so touchy....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Jan 25, 2002.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I can't believe it. Today I was mowing a lawn and when we were done the lady came out and asked if we were going to fertilize today. I said, "Well, duh. Yah." and she said, "Oh, ok. I just didn't know. It's been a while since I saw you do it here and my lawn is getting yellow." I said, "Yah, no kidding. That's why I am going to fertilize." She looked at me kinda weird. I guess she thought I was stoopid or something.

So then she had the nerve to ask me what kind of fertilizer I was puting on her lawn. I told her, "The nitrogen kind." She said, "I kind of figured that, smart ass. What I meant was, is it regular fertilizer or winter fertilizer or what? Shouldn't you use a winter fertilizer this time of year?" I told her that it was our policy to apply regular fertilizer unless the customer requested otherwise. She said, "Well, I'd like to request it, is that extra?" I said, "Well, yah! The stuff ain't cheap, lady." By this time I was so sick of her stoopid questions and she was getting so annoying.

So she asked how much extra and I figured, 'what the heck', this lady wants to spend some money obviously, I'll take her money. Truth is, it wasn't extra but you know if I can make a few bucks off someone I will. So I told her it would be $25 more to apply winter fertilzer. She was shocked! She said, "Twenty Five dollars! I bet I could buy TWO BAGS of Scotts Winterizer for that price. And my lawn is so small it only takes maybe a quarter of a bag." I said, "Yah, but this is not Scotts. It's the good stuff. But if you like that Scott's crap go get some and do it yourself then, chica." Then she started to get pissy, which I totally don't understand. Truth was, I really WAS using Scott's Winterizer. Haha.

She said, "That's not the point. I could do it myself but I should be able to have you do it for a reasonable price." I said, "Well that seems reasonable to me. Take it or leave it." She finally caved. I was thinking, "YES! SHE IS SUCH A SUCKER!!!" Then I figured I'd take her for some more. I'm gonna eat all weekend off her money!" So I told her, "You know, you should really think about having us apply a little iron as well." She didn't know what that was and I wasn't going to explain it so I just told her, "Trust me, you need it. It's good stuff. " She asked me to explain and I just said, "Hey, I don't have all day. Do you want your lawn to look nice or not? That guy over their uses iron and look at his lawn!" Truth was I didn't even know the guy or what he used. Haha!

The stoopid lady finally agreed to buy iron for $25 more. SUCKER!!! So, long story short I also convinced her to buy some "moss killer", which is really just iron. Another $25 for me. HAHA!

Now here's the best part. We applied our winter fertilizer which already contains trace amounts or iron. Then I went and asked for my $75. She asked when I was going to apply the iron. I said, "It's in the fertilizer. The fertilizer says on the bag that it contains 2% iron." She got pissy again. I don't get chicks. I really don't. She said, "And what about the moss killer. I told her iron IS moss killer. She said, "Well then I shouldn't have to pay an extra $50 for that since I would have got it anyway." I said, "You gotta pay it. That's what you agreed on. You didn't even know it was in there." Then I stepped in real close because I tower over this lady and held my hand out. It was obvious I wasn't gonna leave without my $75. So she paid me.

At this point she was so pissed off she asked me not to come back. I said, "Sheesh. I provide you a good service and this is how I am treated? You know what, you can't fire me, because I just quit!"

Some people are soooooo touchy. Sheesh. This is like the third customer I lost this week. I don't get it.

2. Do you realy want replies to this post?

This is almost like "The old lady got pissed" post.

You tryied to scam her and do not deserve her business.

You posted exactly that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow Jim, is this really you talking or did someone take over your computer? Or is this a joke and your trying to set us up? Or finally, are you drunk? This post isn't the "jimlewis" I have read from before. What gives?
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

You are right some people are just to touchy. If that is kind of customers you have to deal with, then mine advise is to get out of the lawn bus and sell used cars or life insurance. I am sure these industries would better fit your moral values.
  5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Good service?

This is a joke right?
  6. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I hope this is some kinda tall tale ?If not my friend you are the smart ass! an i wish you luck trying to keep customers,an staying in biz for that matter.I could go on an on but i would be wasteing my time .
  7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I vote for all the above Randy..lol.. I think he is bs'ing and if he aint then I bet it was not worht $25 bucks to lose a customer..now who's tha sucker:D
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

This thread sounds like the guy spitting rocks and twigs on the camaro and saying "man, people have alot of nerve yelling at me!!"
  9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

$75 ric! LOL

He got her for the iron/moss killer/fertilizer
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

About 1/2 thru I realized this is a joke to get people thinking. 1st clue is, Jim doesn't cut anymore, he has it guys do it!

ok ok, on a serious note, JIM YOUR A SCRUB!:p