1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shelf life for 2 stroke oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AtlYardWorks, Sep 28, 2005.

1. AtlYardWorks

AtlYardWorks LawnSite Member

I had a customer give me an unopened gallon of 2 stroke oil today because he was cleaning his basement out getting ready to move. I asked how old it was and he said a couple of years old, so I took it to be polite, but I don't think I'm gonna take a chance on using this oil. This stuff doesn't last forever, right?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not completely sure about this one...what brand of oil is it? I wouldnt run it myself even if it were a decent brand due to the fact that I wont risk ruining 1000's of dollars in equipment by saving pennies on oils.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe 15 years ago Pennzoil 2 cycle was bad about getting lumpy and seperating out. That was the old TCWII oil. I saw a few boat engines bite the dust because of that. If you have a clean and empty gallon jug, transfer it to the clean jug and watch as you pour it, if it isnt lumpy I think it would be ok. What brand is it by the way? It may be a water cooled 2 cycle oil for a boat
  4. AtlYardWorks

the brand is tech 2000 oil, which I've never heard of it before. Would water cooled vs. air cooled engines make a difference? My friends and I used to share 2 stroke gas for our dirt bikes and one guy had an older bike that was air cooled and he used our gas and never had a problem that I knew of. Didn't even think about that.
  5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't risk it! Being polite is one thing...putting your business on the line is another.
  6. AtlYardWorks

Yeah, I was weary about it from the start, but figured I'd ask. I'll just drop it off at a garage to let them to dispose of it.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

tech 2000 is from wal-mart -its low quality oil -fouls plugs etc . i wouldnt use it either. i tried some once-it sucked
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First off, I agree with you as far as running some 'other' oil, if you're not sure and you have to ask, then don't use it.

Secondly, I really kinda dread it the moment a customer thinks they have something great to give me, LOL, thou I must admit I did get a cool Honda riding lawn-mower once which I fixed back up and sold for 300 dollars :) Most the time, thou, it makes me feel like Sanford & Son, heh.

Now for shelf life, I use Stihl 2-cycle mix for ALL my 2-cyclers and I buy it by the flat, which is 48 bottles at a time, makes 120 gallons. As things stand, a flat of 48 bottles lasts me close to 3 years and the last bottle is as good as the first. Same with motor oil, I have close to 100 quarts stored because I buy my oil in quantity... It's all various grades and again I have 2-3 years worth, maybe more - The trick is to keep proper rotation (oldest gets used first) AND to make sure the oil bottles stay sealed, in a cool environment and out of direct sunlight IF the bottle has transparency to it.
    Other than that, shelf-life wise...I don't see 5 years storage hurting a thing but again, if in doubt as to the quality, don't use it. Too bad it's 2-cycle mix, sometimes with standard motor oil when I'm not sure about the quality, all straight 30-weight AND 20w-50 oils make an excellent chainsaw lubricant :)
    Also I've had my hand on some 'other' 2-cycle oil myself and I wasn't sure so what I did is I mixed it 10% other to 90% Stihl oil but then I only had a quart of it to dilute and still it took me the better part of 30 minutes to spread it all out and find the empty bottles, etc, etc...
  9. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

Dump it on your trailer floor and mop it in. That's what I do with used oil that I get when I change oil in something. Cheap sealer. :p
  10. jgc8fan

jgc8fan LawnSite Member

Agree... Tech 2000 will ruin your equipment when it's new let alone after sitting in a basement for who knows how long.

My brother had to have the fuel system and carb on his boat motor replaced after using that junk.