Shelf Life

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenman099, Mar 9, 2008.

1. greenman099

greenman099 LawnSite Member

How long does a mixed spraying solution last in the tank? 2 days, 3 days, a week?
    Pendi and 3-way? Atrazine? MSMA?
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody knows. And it depends on a lot of things. What is the product? What is the pH of the water? What is the temperature of the solution? Is it mixed with fertilizer? What fertilizer? How concentrated is the solution?

Good project for a an agronomy graduate student with plenty of time to finish his thesis.

What about it herbicide companies? If you are using plain water--how long does your stuff last? It would be a start.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I don't have a clue, but I can tell you this.

Sometimes I mix too much product and if so I just put in MT 2.5 gal jugs and mark them.

I have used 24D and gly after two years and they still work just as good as the day they were mixed.

I am not sure it would be the same for all as there are too many variable as discussed by Riggle, but I know those two still work after along time.

Main thing is to try and not mix up more then you need and take the chance.

If you use herbicides within a month or two I am sure you don't have any worries (from what I have found). That is if it is a product that doesn't settle our or need agitated.
  4. shaneb

shaneb Inactive

This typically depends on the pH of the solution. There is a chart that was done years ago and doesn't probably included many of the newer products on the market, but it was very interesting. For example, glyphosate at pH 7 remains effective for less than an hour, but if you lower the pH to 5, it remains viable for weeks. You might be able to find that chart online somewhere.
  5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

6. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Don't mix what you are not going to use in a day, that is the easiest way to deal with it. You should know the square footage of the properties for the day and then know what to mix, right? If you have enough mixed for a week in a tank, then in my opinion, you are asking for trouble. If not just for the unkowns of what happens to chemicals as they break down and what effect it have on turf, then just for the fact that you may waste the chemicals and see you profits piss down the drain.