Sheraton Mower - Questions!?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by nukeday, Jan 6, 2006.

1. nukeday

nukeday LawnSite Member

I am picking up a Sheraton 7HP (B&S) rider tomorrow. It appears to be in decent shape, and it ran last summer. Apparently the PO did a carb kit, and it may have been the wrong kit(?).

I intend to just use this for it's designed purpose, and for $50 I figure it's worth the effort to go get it. I recently moved to a 1/3 of an acre lot with little to no landscaping and it would not be fun to mow it with my 19" electric push mower...

Anyway, my internet searches are turning up very little on parts for this rig. Any direction or help would be appreciated. Feel free to email me directly with links or advice.

I posted photos in response to a Caprice posting here:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=104837&page=2

Todd
    in OR

2. git er done landscaping

git er done landscaping LawnSite Member

hi stop over at www.mytractorforum.com and post this question. theres at least one huffy owner there. nice mower!

3. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

nuke,
    I would kill to have that sheraton. You made a real find there, especially for $50. The pics of the Huffy Caprice you saw are mine. I bought that old tractor last summer in upstate NY. I am registered over at MTF, so I am the one Git er done is referring to. I've been working on the old Caprice a little bit at a time and am in the process of looking for someone to sandblast the mower deck before I repaint it. A Caprice and a Sheraton share the same body, frame, engine and trans, but the Caprice has a larger 32" deck plus electric start. I took it to a local antique tractor show last October, and it got a LOT of attention. I parked my truck and trailer a few blocks away from the show and drove the old Huffy down there. People really got a kick out of it. I even had a couple of offers to sell. You can still get parts for the Briggs engine, but as far as parts for the tractor forget it. Just copy down the #'s on the top cover of the engine and go to your local briggs dealer and they will fix you up. They stopped making parts a long time ago for the tractors. If you want parts your best bet is to go to this group on yahoo http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Huffymowers/?yguid=79692774
    I am a member there and the people there are great. Ask for Larry and he will do all he can to help you. He can most likely copy an owners manual for you. Belts for the tractors are the standard 1/2" width Vee belts. My Caprice takes a 29" for the drive and another 29" and 28" for the deck. Your Sheraton will only have one belt for the deck. I would say that it also takes a 29" for the drive like my caprice does. If I can help you anymore give me a yell. Whatever you do, don't give up on that Huffy and junk it. I hate to see them go to waste. They are classic lawn tractors and were actually very rugged, too. Make sure you keep the nut tight on your front axle!

Tim

4. nukeday

nukeday LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, Tim. I'm excited about it, but it's mostly because I know my yard will be out of control without some type of mower. I had no idea this was a sought after rig. I did join the Yahoo! group you've mentioned, I'm looking forward to playing with this thing over the winter...

5. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of some help. Those guys over there will be able to take you the rest of the way. Like I said, you got a great deal on it. There is a guy in the yahoo group selling a caprice like mine for $150 and it is a basketcase. Keep checking Ebay for parts, too. Stuff pops up all the time. Just put in "huffy mower" and hit search. I even found 2 vintage 1969 full-color ads on there with the caprice and sheraton together. They are now framed and hanging on my wall here at home. Keep in touch with me and let me know about your progress. Just drop me a PM sometime. Have fun with the Huffy. :drinkup:

Tim