She's gonna blow!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dkeisala, Sep 30, 2004.

1. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I live about 50 miles from Mt. Saint Helens. I remember when the whole damn thing blew up back in 1980. What a mess, it literally rained mud for days. If it wasn't raining there were clouds of ash dust everywhere. People walked around with surgical masks on. Stuff was like super fine sand, not really good for engines of any kind. What we experienced wasn't nearly as bad as folks in eastern Washington. Should be fun for those of us doing landscape maintenance in this part of the country if the thing blows up again like they say could very well happen!

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard that on the news yesterday. I hope for your sake that it doesn't. My family and I were out there in the summer of 1980 because my father was an engineer for Grumman and they were working with the Navy. We were on Whidbey Island, I can still remember going to see Mt. St Helens. I can't beleive that it's been 24 years! Good luck to you.

3. dkeisala

So the first eruption just happened. Small ash cloud headed our way but they think most ash will fall before it gets here. Just wonder what this ash will do to my equipment, it's like superfine sand and very abrasive. If we get a larger eruption this could cost those of us in this area some money in maintenance and repairs.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Though that is true think of how much money can be made blowing off and hauling away the ash and such. It could lead to new customers not to mention premium prices during and after such events.
    My hopes for you it doesn't but if it does think of other ways to make a profit using cheper equiptment such as blowers and brooms.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I too lived thru that in 1980. We got about 1 to 1.5 inches where I'm at. It wasnt that bad really. I dont know of anyone that had a problem with the ash ruining anything , other than plugging up lots of air filters.

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Well she blew! Hope all you guys out there are OK. Stock up on air filters..... :)

7. M Raggs Yard Service

M Raggs Yard Service LawnSite Member

That reminds me of 1980 keeping xtra stock in my cars and truck of air filters. Now it sounds like there will be a magma flow soon. 5 mile area around mountain has been evacuated as of Sat. Oct. 2nd. @12:30 p.m.

8. dkeisala

Well, if nothing else it's fun to watch. Talked to a friend from Florida lastnight said "between hurricanes, volcanoes and George Bush, nobody is safe these days"!!!

9. M Raggs Yard Service

M Raggs Yard Service LawnSite Member

How about the media hype of local stations like King 5 (NBC afiliate) with the "LIVE SIZMO CAM" :D

10. dkeisala

Yeah - It's like "blow up already so we don't have to keeping hearing about over and over and over again"!