Sheshovel is gonna be peeved...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 12, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

A pic of a tree I killed. :cry:

Actually... the higher ups were given a choice last year. (1) We disturb the root system to repair a small part of a parking lot planter lateral line or (2) just cap the thing off and see what develops.

Reply: "Fix it."

I warned them that this might happen and it got reported on a work order as "tree weeping due to lack of water." Only reason it's dry in the second picture is that system was off the previous night due to next day mowing.

EOC System Inspection 7-11-07 IV-01.jpg

EOC System Inspection 7-11-07 IV-02.jpg

2. It could be just stressing out from an inability to absorb water. Well I guess it's up to the gardeners to decide though.

I've seen trees in that situation bounce back after a year or so, then I've taken out trees like that as my neighbor is fond of saying "Just because"

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a little more than a "weep"

4. What kind of tree is that sensitive?

5. PurpHaze

If I remember correctly... it's a Chinese Pistache.

6. PurpHaze

Maybe a "deep sleep weep"? :laugh:

7. PurpHaze

My suggestion on the work order response was to get an arborist or urban forester to come in and give them an opinion. :laugh:

8. Don't those get the little berries you can put in your sling shot? If so you should relly feel bad for killing that one.

9. PurpHaze

Kinda stunted nut clusters or berries. Might be good for mischief. :)

When we were doing the repairs the superintendent parked and came over to see what we were doing on his way into his office. We chatted for awhile and this same subject (of the tree possibly dying) came up. He told us to "do what's necessary" to get our job done.

At the site where I posted those trenching pictures without a locate they will be removing a perfectly healthy 60+ year old Deodor Ceder because a new fire lane has to be routed through it. Now THAT is a shame.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

"stunted nut clusters" sounds like some lame new breakfast cereal