SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stick9, Oct 11, 2000.

1. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a grasscutter today and he was NOT wearing ANY type of ear protection ... (No, not even the foam ear plugs) ... I find this totally unbelievable that somebody would knowingly use these obnoxiously loud machines and not have something to protect their hearing. When I first began cutting, my boss didn't use any .. but now, he has 'seen the light' .. so to speak.

How many people out there do NOT use ear protection? And, if you don't, why not?

StICK-nINe

2. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

I totally agree with you. I have been in the industry for about ten years and for the longest time didn't use any pro. One day after using the blower for an extended leaf blowing session I noticed my ears wouldn't stop ringing. The ringing continued for the rest of the day and night, since then my ears are very sensitive to loud noises, especially blowers. Needless to say, I never go a day without my headphones. We lost a set one day and instead of going without I wadded some TP to stick in my ear. Don't lose your hearing buy some headphones.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have 2 friends that don't where any type of ear protection. One of them uses a walkman type radio, I guess the music is louder than the machines. I have offered both if them ear plugs, but both have refused. If I take my hearing protection off while useing the machinery, every thing seems loud!

4. stick9

We have an enclosed trailer and the NoiZe is 10 times worse inside there (just moving the mower in or out) .. I can't even stand to simply pull the DC out of the trailer without headphones .. let alone work without them all day!

sticK-NINe

Come on everybody Ed TYLL, eD tyLL!!!!!!!

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Some people are more sensitive to noise levels than others. The hot rod kids with thier big base speakers are louder than my equipement.I had to wear ear muffs a t the saw mill years ago and had lots of problems from sweat and wax build up in my ears.If you need it wear it.

6. stick9

So get one of those ear cleaners and clean out your ears. Is it really worth it to LOSE your hearing?!? Just squirt some warm water in there with one of those rubber bulbous things. Do you get waxy build up with the muffs or the plugs? I use plugs (with a radio) and have NO problems!

stICK-ninE

Come on Everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ED TYLL .. ED TYLLLLLLL!!!

7. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I use earplugs now but im would like to later get the muffs with fm radio.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is the first year with protection! Ever since I started with the double blades on my Dixie, I had to! For 10 years I just used in the ear stereo headphones. They do block out some of the harmonics, which is the cause of the aforementioned ringing of the ears. Ever since I got my Elvex FM's my ears are thanking me!! Dixie makes a LOUD mower in my opinion. My JD 318 and F935 were quiet compared to my Dixie. Cant wait for my new 27hp Lazer to come in! Those things are very quiet. But I will continue to use the muffs.

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Huh?

Sorry, couldn't resist that. You are right. My hearing is damaged beyond repair. After 13 years playing with grenades, machine guns, and artillery, I don't think there's much the mowers will do. However, I don't take chances so I wear my stereo headphones or a gun muzzle (mickey mouse ears)

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a pair of Silencio ear muffs. They are actually gun earmuffs but they are real big and have lots of foam in them, kinda like Sthil's earmuffs. I paid $15 for them but I know in the end they will be well paid for. Sometimes I use them when I mow, but I always use them when I'm running the trimmer or blower. Gotta love that 2 cycle sound, but it's really loud!