Shielding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Four_Seasons, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

Whats up guys! So i'm looking at buying a new Scag next week and am wondering if there is anything that I can put on it that will help protect it from the elements and preserve the paint. I know Fluid Film comes to mind, but does that really work? If so can I spray/paint it all over the mower? Is it bad to be near heat? I have heard of people spraying/painting under the deck with mixed results but I want something that will "coat" the entire mower and keep it looking as good as new with just a wash. Does something like this exist?

2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Regular wax is probobly what you're looking for.

Don't use fluid film, dirt and junk sticks to it and leaves it looking like shyt. Same as if you were to coat the whole thing in motor oil.

Fluid film is awesome for what it does, it's just not appropriate in is application.

3. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

So I could just use a regular car wax solution? I know that sounds stupid but if it keeps it clean then I look better, save money, and the value on the mower is higher. I guess fluid film would just be under the deck. But does it work for that? I've heard PAM cooking spray and WD40 works just as well if not better.

4. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I agree clean equip is nice to have. And definitly helps on resale.

I've never tried any coatings for the decks. I'm sure a search on here would come up with a million options and opinions. I just clean them by hand a couple times a week.