Shihl Kombi System Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowingCorey, Jul 8, 2003.

1. MowingCorey

MowingCorey LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I looking at buying the Shihl kombi system, but would like some input first.

FS55 or FS85 series??? $100 is a bid diference for only 3 tenth extra hp.

Also, do I want the straight hedge trimmer or the 90 degree. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

2. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

The difference between the fs 55 and fs 85 is not only a few tenths extra horsepower. It is commerical grade. I have used both and I feel that the 85 has noticable more power.

Think of it this way. You can get a commercial grade trimmer for only $100 more.

I would think the staight hedge trimmer would be better the the right angle trimmer. Unless it is adjustable.

Good luck
    Ryan

3. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

Mowing Corey-
    I agree with OryanO about spending the extra $100 to get the commercial grade unit. As for the hedge clipper attachments i believe your optiona are straight or articulating unless theyve change them recently. If that is the case then go with articulating- it will make you life a lot easier. If thats not the case and you have to choose between the 90 degree or straight go with the straight.

-Coop

4. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

Hey Corey, are you talking about the KM 55R and the KM 85R? Im debating over the KM 85R and the KM 110R.

5. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

Live4mowin-
    I do think he is talking about the KM's although i know at least the FS-85 is a combo system too but the model number for that is FS-85R

-Coop

6. MowingCorey

MowingCorey LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am talking about the KM 55R and KM 85R. Sounds like I want the bigger 85. As far as the hedge timmer, I can not think of a situation where I would need the 90 degree articulating. Can someone help me with that and give me an example? Thanks for the help.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Heck yeah I can give an example.

Try this! Stand on the ground and level the tops of shrubs which are head hieght. I can turn my trimmer upside down and do this with the 0-90 head. You can find yourself in alot of other positions which require the articulation as well. For the most part you dont need it but the time you do its well worth it.

Jimbo

P.S. You can use it to mow down brush as well.

8. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I bought the KM-85 setup. I think last year it was called the FS-85R. I recommend getting the short shaft with each attachment. It's a little more than the head only of each attachment. And it's a lot quicker to change each piece out. I bought the following attachments: 1.) Trimmer (sorry, but I still like a curved shaft better) 2.) Hedge trimmer. This is very powerful, a bit heavy, but I love it. I got the 90 deg head for those times I really need it. 3.) Edger. Man, I almost find myself running to keep up with it. Great investment. 4.) 12" chainsaw. It works great for limbs, but those are overhead usually, so get prepared for sawdust in the face. Overall, I find plenty of power in this.

9. Get the articulating. You won't regret it.

10. Lynn's Lawn Care

Lynn's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I am looking at getting the FS 85 also. seems to be a great piece of equipment. They make the straight hedge trimmer and the articulating one and in some places they do sell a 90 degree fixed. My Opinion is go with the articulating. It is only a few more dollars but gives you a whole lot more options.

What are you looking to do with this equipment? Are you going to use it as a trimmer mostly and a hedge trimmer on rare occasions or do you need to be able to switch them out quickly?

My dealer suggested to me to go with the standard trimmer with the gear box attachments. He said it only 2 Screws to switch it out, but in the end would last longer in his opinion. I had only planned on using the hedge trimmers on a limited basis.

If you were planning on switching more frequent then the split shaft would probably work better for you.

Hope that helps some. Good luck

David