Shihl Warranty Work for Fuel Pickup BR 600

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Alta Lawn Care, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Alta Lawn Care

Alta Lawn Care LawnSite Member

If you have a BR600 you might have already found that there is a problem with the fuel pickup (as I did). At about 1/2 tank it may stall unless you drop the left shoulder strap--don't do this--it runs the engine lean according to my dealer.

Bring it in to the dealer for a free, new fuel pickup (filter?). The factory one is too light. It's covered under warranty.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

also........when your br600 blows up, and it will, they will replace the block. apparently they havent released a recall but stihl admits to using soft metal in the blocks causing them to blow up. out of the 6 brand new br600s we have, 4 have blown up. They also have changed the oil three times because apprently during R&D they used gasoline in germany and the US has different blends of oil and gas that arent good for the blowers. I wish they would also fix those crappy rubber shock absorbers that break non stop. I gotta say they are the worst made blowers I have ever owned, and refuse to buy any more. Even the new FS trimmers suck. Their craftsmanship has gone right out the window.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well this is an ugly turn of events. What is your usage situation on these machines. Do you run long periods or a lot of off/on short runs?

4. clmllc

clmllc LawnSite Member

I agree 100% on the quality of Stihl. I told the dealer this summer to taks his FS100RX and shove it (it was the 2nd one) and givre me a 85 2stroke. The BR600 is a strong blowewr but I am on my third frame on the 600 and the second one on the 550. And the 600 started stalling today.

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info. It always told me I needed to fillup soon.
    I agree with the back frame. I have gone through 2 of them, the last one put on was suposedly a redesigned frame and stronger. Above all I think that it is still the best blower I have ever used.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Im not gonna say we are easy on these blowers. During the fall we run them non stop 10 hours a day. I know there will be breakages, and things do fall apart after awhile. The problem with these new stihls is that they are breaking way way too early and are poorly designed and built. the old br400s were tanks. we had the same blowers for years on end. the latest br420s we only got a year out of most, and maybe a year and a half out of a few. i decided to stick with sthil because supposedly the new blowers were the next best thing. they do have a lot of power, but there is no longevity in them. i have switched to redmax and have had nothing but awesome luck, so until stihl proves me otherwise, i am all done with them. we buy a ton of equipment, and have definately been a great customer for stihl, but lately all their products have headed down hill.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

That's funny. I actually switched from Redmax to Stihl because my Redmax stuff kept breaking regularly.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Matt i'm sorry to hear about your sthil stuff. Anyways Merry Christmas and its nice to hear from you :waving:

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, my br-550 leans out at 1/2 tank also but it's not enough to make me want to drop it off at the dealer (and see if I get it back in the next 90 days lol).

All I do is shift my body to the left, I wouldn't drop the strap but just kinda lean a little bit and it catches back up.

While it can be annoying, it's also my way of knowing about how much fuel is left in the tank, I've grown used to the silly antic, almost every machine has some stupid thing they do, just the way it is lol.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

All Stihl fuel filters are too light.... or atleast they have been in the years I have ran them. I tried to tell them but never saw a change.

First thing I do when I get a Stihl is pull the fuel filter and chuck it in favor of another brand fuel filter that is heavy and sinks. For me, that just happened to be Echo fuel filters because I have Echos too and had some filters on hand. The Echo type is metal with a wick type filter. It sinks... problem solved.

But anyways, I too have been spreading my risk a bit by not buying all Stihl products.
    It's an "iffy" period right now.
    We'll see what happens with time.