Shin 350 power in a pkg. less than 6 lbs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andyinchville2, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I was helping a friend to do some research and so I hope I'll get some constructive input here for him.

My friend Tom is a mechanical / materials engineer and also a whiz at custom metal and machine fabricaion.

One day while I was eating lunch with him I was complaining that my arms and hands were sore from the extensive weedeating that I done the previous day (approximately 9 hours worth with a Shin t270). I told him that I wished I had a lighter weedeater with more power.

He took that as a challenge and I went out to buy a Shin 350 for him to look at. Through his shop he tore apart the 350 and made duplicate type parts using lightweight materials with supposedly the same durability or greater durability than stock (I suppose at least since he is the Engineer).

Anyways he returmed to me with a lightened weedeater (he redid the shaft, engine case and most of the metal parts with lighweight metals etc).....We fired it up and I could not tell the difference in power between the "350" he made and the factory 350.....BUT the biggest difference was in the weight!!!!.....
    This "350" weighs about as much as my stock 230! (actually a little LESS)......

My friend has always wanted to go into business for himself and I think he has a winner here BUT there is the issue of cost.....obviously the materials and custom machining would make this a more expensive product (haven't done extensive durability testing but he claims that it shoud be the same or better).....So
    my question for you all out there is would you pay for something like that? If so, what is the maximum extra that you would pay for something like that?.....I'll let you all know the actual costs after he gets it all figured out....

Thanks for your input

Andrew

PS - I race RC cars and hear about people getting more power out of them by porting and tuned pipes and such but I have never heard of anybody modifying a weedeater for similar performance gains....Has anybody out there done that .....I'd really be interested in modifying my t270s If I knew how (well I suppose Tom could mess with that too but he is more of a parts maker than a redesigner of things)

2. Andyinchville2

OOPs, about the title.....I meant 8 lbs!

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Andy, I'm an manual machinist of sorts myself, and I really like the idea... However, the objection I have is likely the one others here may have... COST.. I'm assuming your buddy used some exotic metals or composites to get the machine to weigh 8 lbs.. these kinda materials ARE NOT cheap.. Not many folks are going to buy a $1,000 trimmer.. Again, It sounds like something I'd love to have just to say I've got it.. But I wouldn't expect your friend to make itr ecconomically feasible.

As to the reason you do not see tuned pipes and other common 2 stroke Hot Rod tricks on trimmers and other OPE, is this, in a nut shell ...... The candle that burns twice as bright only burns half as long... And this is no where more true than 2 cycle engines.. Your average race 2 stroke engine gets freshened every race if you're a serieous player...

Show me pix though, it does sound real cool, just not too practical.

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds very interesting, but, the price would probably be the sticking point for most people I would think.

5. TrueTrim1

TrueTrim1 LawnSite Member

That does sound like an awesome trimmer, but I'm not sure how much more I'd be willing to pay for such a beast. If your friend does not want to incur all the cost and headache associated with a new business venture, he might try selling his ideas to Shindaiwa. They might be able to incorporate some of them into their next line of trimmers if they are cost effective.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if most companies have already considered doing some of the same things your friend did, but found that the cost would be too exorbitant for the advantages gained.

6. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be willing to pay $100-$200 more for something like that. It would be a great "mod" to get. People buy t270's, and ship them to him for the mod.

Anything over $200 tho, and I'd really have to think very hard about it. But, I know there would be a market for it...it's just a cost and durability issue.

Great idea tho...be nice if the numbers worked.

7. Andyinchville2

Thanks for the input.....I don't have a digital camera so unfortunately I wont be able to post pics.....Basically what he did though was machine new parts from hi Tech materials that they had leftover and some he got from suppliers as samples of mateials which is why at the present time he has to figure out the actul costs for the materials had he had to pay for it (there was alot of titanium and aluminum (good aircraft quality stuff) used. He Modified the shaft of his unit by increasing the tubing diameter and drilling out the center. In an effort to save weight too the guard was deleted, all fasteners were replaces w/ either titanium or aluminum, he made an assembly that directly bolted to the engine (eliminating the weight of the clutch assy but did leave a provision so that it could be reincorporated but he did not have enoug materials at the time to build custom patrts there, Connecting rod and other reciprocating parts were machined from
    lightweight barstock and drilled / balanced to further lighten things. I'll try to let you know the actual cost and time he spent working on it as soon as he lets me know (basically at the time he did it just for the fun of it since it is a hobby of his to work on machines but I'm sure it wont be as much "fun" doing it as a businedd but then again you never know!