Shin line trimmer problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Shindaiwa line trimmer model T230. Today the cutting attachment began to rotate at all times. It spins while idling, when I pull the starter cord, stops abrubtly as soon as I shut off. The owners manual says it's probably a broken clutch spring or a worn clutch spring boss. Is this a complicated deal or fairly easy to replace? I don't have a backup and if I take it into my dealer it will take a few days to get it done,(and I can't be without it for even a single day this time of year. If I can't fix it at night, I'll have to buy a new one and use this one,(2 years old), for a backup. Thanks for any info.
    P.S. Actually, if I won't cause severe damage by continuing to use it that's an option. It trims fine, just weird to have the head spinning constantly.

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose the only drawback here is the safety issue, but I can't imagine not having a backup trimmer. I always carry an extra trimmer and blower on my rack.

3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

It could be its idaling to high my fs 80 did i backed it off a lil it worked fine

4. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

buy a Robin

5. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

it is the spring,i would replace the entire clutch30.00 or so,very easy to do unbolt the front half aroud the flywheel housing pull the plug and drop a string down the cylinder undoe the 2 clutch bolts install new clutch with the l facing you and tighten,reinstall the rest and pull the string out

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave is right, but the spring breaks do to the clutch wearing out....So really its the clutch. I replace clutches in my t270's all the time. Very easy to do once you do it one time. Only thing is, after so many clutches you have check the drum, it gets thin and that needs replaced also. You can change the spring, but it will break soon as you hit the gas. :)

7. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yup definatly the clutch, Buy an extra and keep it with you. After a few they only take 10 min or so to change.

8. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i am bout to buy one of those for dirt cheap. i hope it doesnt give me any problems or i will get rid of it in a big hurry!