shindaiwa 260 vs 270

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, May 28, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going through the shindaiwa www site on these 2 grass trimmers.

There is only a small difference between the 2 in horsepower, weight.

For those that use the 270 and 260, how do they compare?

I'm usiung the 260 right now!

2. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 230 , 260 , and several 270's.....The performance gain of the 270 is well worth the couple or so extra lbs....I'd like to try a 350 one time but the local dealer doesn't stock them.....I use the 270 for everythng and it is my daily weedeater.....the 230 was bought for a small woman crewmember who has since graduated up to the 270 (she feels that although heavier she is able to cut quicker and therfore not have to carry it as long and was less tired overall......I used the 230 once just for the fun of it....Light as a feather compared to the 270 but way down on power.....260 is better in the power department when compared to the 260 but very little perceived differencr in weight between it and the 270 and the 270 seems to be a much better unit.....I'd go with the 270.....If I knew what I know now I would not have gotten the 230 or 260.

3. alpine692003

Ya, I have a 230 and a 260..

260 i like!, I want to try out the 270

4. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have the 270 and I am very happy with it, it has the most power of all my weed wackers.

5. thill

thill LawnSite Member

I agree with Andyinchville...

We had three 260s when we got our first 270. The difference in troque was substantial. The handle is designed to reduce stress and at my age, it helps. <grn>

We have just purchased two more of the 270s and plan to stick with em.... Everyone really likes em.

Tom

6. alpine692003

hmmm... I have the Shin - Multipurpose tool which is the t230 straight shaft.

Maybe I'm going to get rid of that and buy the 4 cycle mix!

Any of you guys used the 4 cycle mix from the shindaiwa? ie) m2500?

more powe ror what

7. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I'm also in the market for a new trimmer. The best feature IMO is the slide valve carb so you can operate it in any position.

Currently I have an Echo srm260 - nice gutsy little trimmer but I do a lot of trimming hard edges in the upside down position and I think it finally got to it. Had it for 3 years now.

Do you guys that use the t270 have any expierence with trimming in the upside down pos. and how does it work for you?

I think I read somewhere (I might be wrong) that the trimmer throws the debris away from the operator. Does this mean the head turns clockwise unlike the other trimmers where the head turns anti clockwise?

8. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

Just a follow-up.....I couldn't resist power so I ended up getting a t350....Loads of torque.....way more power than our 270s.....Overall probably the 270 is best (power to weight and ease of flicking the weedeather around quickly)..... but ya gotta love power.....I do and am even cutting overgrown stuff in my customers unmowed areas w/ the 350 just for the fun of it!

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I use my t270 trimmer upside down for edging beds etc all the time and have never killed one. My first one I used 8-10 years.

I doubt trimming upside down killed your Echo, it seems they have had some "issue's" with loosing engines, my friend has seized two or three using Echo oil.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Most posts set the useful life of Echo trimmers at 3 years. Having sold Echo for 8 years and Shindaiwa for 19 years my experience is that Shindaiwa trimmers will last at least twice as long as Echo. We still see T25's coming in for service and they have been out of production for several years.

We stock the T350 and it has the most power available without having to use a harness and bicycle handles. It is a bit heavier than a lot of people can handle unless they use one for a while and then they will not use anything else. It's a bit like going rat hunting with a 12 gauge.

Oldtimer