Shindaiwa 4 stroke hybrid weedeater problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by coob, Nov 27, 2013.

1. coob

coob LawnSite Member

My weed eater started smoking the other day when going through some tall grass. I quickly turned it off and let it cool down. Now when it runs it doesn't have near the speed it did before and sometimes it continues to spin at a low rpm when I release the trigger, though not every time. Any ideas on what could be damaged and is it something fixable at home?
  2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Without more info I doubt anyone can figure it out.

You should check the obvious things (spark plug, fuel filter, fuel lines, exhaust screen, etc.) and post your findings.
  3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

You trashed the clutch!!!
  4. grassclippers

grassclippers LawnSite Member

yup,classic symptoms of a worn clutch!
  5. coob

coob LawnSite Member

Dang! Any idea, ballpark, of a repair on something like that?
  6. MRCo.

MRCo. LawnSite Member

Clutch assembly will be in the $20+ region probably, similar for labor if you can't do it yourself.
  7. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If you do it yourself and you find the clutch surface worn down to the base metal, check the drum as well. MRCo's in the ball park on clutch shoes but my bet is that it'll cost you a minimum of a picture of Grant to get it out of a retail repair shop, hourly rates being what they are.
  8. MRCo.

MRCo. LawnSite Member

Yup, as I said, about $20 labor, more if the drum is gone. If the drum is worn don't risk it or your clutch spring will be over stressed all the time. Get a drum...maybe doubling the parts cost, but oh we'll...easy come...:waving:
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I never seem smoke coming off or out ofclutch drums. As they wear you get to steel on steel and the engines rpm goes up real high. If you don't know what is happening and get er shut down you damage the engine.