1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa 4 stroke trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IBGreen, Nov 12, 2002.

1. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone used this thing? I ran it in the back of my dealer's shop. It was kinda lite and felt strong but I didn't get to actually use it.

from AL

If it was the T2500 with the new C4 engine it should be a great trimmer....eventually.

As with any new product or technology it is best to wait a year or 2 until they get the bugs worked out.
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

best trimmer i ever used, 10 times better than my other trimmers, edges at half trottle, goes through thick, high grass like nothing.
  4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Joshua how much did you pay for the one you have and how long have you had it?
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The only 4-stroke I ever messed with was a Honda. I ran it for just a minute after it warmed up. I was NOT impressed. Not because it was a 4 stroke. But because of poor craftsmanship I think. Vibrated like crazy! I bought a 2 stroke Stihl FS 85 and luv it!!! I run the Opti-2 smokeless oil and couldn't be happier.
  6. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the split boom T2500 with articulating hedge clippers and love it. I love the way the trimmer has a gear to set the angle of the clippers. No slipping here. I just ordered a trimmer.
  7. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

We got rid of our Stihl's - and have gone with the Shin 231's and have been real pleased. If I understand correctly - the Honda 4's are (i think) the only ones where the oil and gas feed in separately. Waiting to see how the Shin 4 strokers work and may go with some of those next year.
  8. jimmie51

jimmie51 LawnSite Member

The Shindaiwa 4 stroke is actually a 2 cycle 4 cycle hybrid. I is a 4 cycle engine that uses to cycle fuel. It's actually an old military designed engine that was used to power drones. It has a much better torque curve than the standard 2 cycle and it complies with 2005 and 2008 emissions. My first one had a hard time starting when hot, but Shindaiwa came out with a update kit that has taken care of that problem.