Shindaiwa advice

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by white1, Jun 28, 2008.

1. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

I bought 2 brand new Shindaiwa T270's. One is good, but the other is Waaaaaay stronger. Any little things to check for? I pulled the plug to make sure it wasnt fouled, and it wasnt. Not sure if theres anything easy I can look for before I take it to the shop. I dont want to tear into it cause its brand new

2. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Try checking the spark arrester screen in the muffler. They clog up very quickly and can cause a huge loss in power.

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

bring it back if its new

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Compare the two side by side, look at where the throttle connects to the carb to see if you have the same travel at wide open throttle (WOT) It might just be an adjustment, also check that the grip in the tube is not twisted and that the trigger assembly is at the right place.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

you know your shindys ! i concour-check throttle cable travel

6. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

I had checked that. It seems that one doesnt move nearly as much as the other. How do I adjust that?

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

It's been a while since I've worked on a shiny, but if it's a walbro carb, there should be an adjustment nut and sleeve that the throttle cable goes though

You will need a 8 mm and 10 mm wrench.

Take the 10 mm wrench and turn the nut out a 1/4 turn. Hold the nut with the wrench and now back off the sleeve with the 8 mm wrench. The sleeve goes through the nut and into the support on the carb, watch how much you back out the sleeve from the support, you don't want to take it completely off.

Once you have the sleeve backed out, you use the nut to lock the sleeve in place by tightening the nut against the support. Test the throttle play as you are doing this, or do like I do and just run the sleeve out as far as it will go :) Start the trimmer up and see if you have improved the power.

It is so much easier to do it then to explain it :laugh:

8. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would rip the screen out anyways.