Shindaiwa AHS231 Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmeister, Jan 30, 2006.

1. grassmeister

grassmeister LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience with Shindaiwa's AHS231 "pole" hedge trimmer? It's articulating and seems to be the right height for many types of applications and looks like a great replacement for the "chainsaw" style hedge trimmer. At $400, it seems like a good deal too compared with the non-articulating models offered by Stihl, Echo, Redmax, etc. Any opinions?

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have one -its great. better than sthil. i dont know how i got agong so long with out one before

3. cbeeg

cbeeg LawnSite Member

I had one as well. That is until it was stolen. Where do you find it for 400?

4. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the M242 with the short articulate hedge trimmer. In all counts, it is same as AHS231 in application. I like it a lot. I have been using it in place of a regular hedge trimmer. It is short enough to have very good control and the blade cut very good. It is not until lately I have a strong urge to buy a new toy that I am shopping for a 30" hedge trimmer.

The only thing I feel is the blade being only 20"( said 22" but really 20") it is not long enough to trim tall boxwood hedges I have, that is taller than the blade. Well, at least that's the excuse I am selling to my wife!!!:laugh:

For $400, it is a very good price. I paid $560 out the door with the M242, the articulate hedge and string trimmer attachments. Check if there is any promotion like mine that if you buy the power head and hedge attachment, you get the string trimmer attachment for free. This will serve as a back up trimmer for you too. My experience they have more promotion on the M2510 power head but it is perfectly good engine. I think Shindaiwa just want to promote the C4 stuff.