Shindaiwa backpack sprayers???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn Sharks, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

The only backpacks our local dealer stocks are Shindaiwas in the 3,4 and 5 gallon models. Funny thing is I never see anyone using one. I am used to the SP/Solo packs.

Anyone using these sprayers have any comments on them?

2. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

I have a 4 gallon and love it. Why? It has a handle on top for you to carry it and the diaphragm is on the top of the unit not the bottom. That way if it starts leaking it doesn't run down the crack of your.........! My other backpack is a 4 gallon lesco and it doesn't have the handle on top....kinda aggravating.

3. Lawn Sharks

Thanks for the input. Would you say they are well made and as reliable as a Lesco (which I believe is made by SP)? 4 gallon price here is $100.

Cheers

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

They are comfortable and durable, the only drawback is the hose, it becomes brittle and cracks in cold weather.

5. Lawn Sharks

Thanks! I used to live in Mass (Marblehead) and then Vermont but now am in South Carolina so the hose should be okay here until January at least. :waving:

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Shin makes a pretty good sprayer but we have 3 sp systems these things are top.

7. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

We have 3 Shindaiwa backpack sprayers and 1 Jatco (they make the sprayer for Shindaiwa). Gave my Solo to an employee who later threw it away. You will not regret getting the Shindawia, You should be able to buy it for around $90 (SP415). Unless it is the professional series (SP518)

8. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Just replaced my leaking Solo with a Shindaiwa. So far, so good. The handle is does help a lot.

9. Lawn Sharks

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will go with the Shin since I kinda like the feature mentioned that all the hardware goes in the top and if a seal blows the stuff doesn't leak all over you. Local dealer has em for $99 bucks so I will bite the bullet. When asked if he gives pros a discount he just says "the price I sell em for is the price on the tag". Not a real warm person. Been dying to buy a Wright 36 inch Stander but this guy turns me off a bit. Too long a drive to go elsewhere at this time.

10. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

I love my Shin BP, but I wouldn't give my business to a guy that has the peronality of a doorknob. His attitude might be an indication of the type of support you are going to receive should something go wrong with what you buy. If your gut is talking to you on this you need to listen. Find another dealer or buy one off the internet.

One of the posts mentioned having a Jacto. They are right about Jacto making the BP for Shindaiwa....so if the guy is a jerk....buy a Jacto. Here is a link.

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/jacto.html

That's just one link - you can find others by googling it.