Shindaiwa bogging down

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by OldTermite, May 29, 2008.

1. OldTermite

OldTermite LawnSite Member

Need some help, guys. My usually dependable T27 is sick, started bogging down mid-day on Sunday. After cutting strong for two hours or so, it started bogging down when I gave it full throttle, almost like it was being choked. Same fuel, same mix from same cannister. I've never had to work on it so I'm not sure where to start looking. Anyone think it might be a clogged fuel filter? Bad mix? Air filter?

Also, the head has gotten to where it spins constantly, even at idle, and it seems like Cutter1 had posted here previously that the likely culprit is the clutch. Is that a reasonable home repair or do I just need to bite the bullet and give it some shop time?

2. AWR

AWR LawnSite Member

sounds like the screen in the muffler try to take it out its full of carbon

3. OldTermite

Thanks, hadn't thought of that but now that you mention it, my Stihl chain saw acted similarly and that was, in fact, what the problem was. I'll check it tomorrow and see if that does it.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Although I can't recommend this so you won't burn down a forest, you'll find most guys here on LS pull the spark arrestors the day they buy any handheld equipment.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to take the exhaust off and see if there is carbon build up in the port. If so.. you'll want to clean it out. Make sure the piston is in the down position and scrape it with a small screwdriver. Blow out with compressed air through the sparkplug hole.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've had this happen once before on an old RedMax. Good advice.

Power robbing problems:
    old fuel filter
    nasty air filter
    clogged spark arrestor
    carbon build-up in exhaust port
    crack in fuel line (especially check around clamps)
    crack in primer bulb
    old spark plug

7. OldTermite

Exactly the same advice I received when I took my chains in for sharpening. I followed that advice and the saw has run strong ever since . . . and not one fire! ! Thanks for your input.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

The clutch sounds like it's locked up. You can usually get a repair kit for them. Easy fix. Be careful though, if you use it with a locked clutch then you might break the drive shaft.

9. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

You might have a cracked fuel line. That will cause it to run lean, (high idle) and poor power.

10. OldTermite

Hmmm . . . bought this T27 used, whoever had it before me had already removed spark arrestor, so that ain't it . . . didn't appear to be any significant carbon built up in cylinder. Cracked fuel line or frozen up clutch are probably the next good suspects, I'll check them this evening or tomorrow. The head has continued to spin even at idle, although at a reduced RPM, and I figured that was the clutch hanging up a little. It makes sense that if it was already failing it could have degraded further to where it just doesn't release . . . does that make sense? Did someone post here that it was about a $20 shop repair? That would be alright if it solves the problem.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.