shindaiwa coils

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stevesmowing, Sep 13, 2006.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I need a new coil for my shindaiwa t270 trimmer since the wire broke off inside it. The price new is $105. I've looked on e-bay and found coils for like chainsaws and stick edgers. The coils have different part numbers but can they be interchanged?

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If they could be interchanged, they would not have different part numbers. But if you want to give it a try, what have you got to lose?

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know Echo and I believe most handheld equipment manufacturers have a lifetime warranty on the coils in their engines. Why not check with your dealer first to see?

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Help me out here. Are we talking coil as in the spring that retracts the rope starter? Or a coil as in the ignition of the engine? The rope starter on my T270 just recently screwed up. It is about 90% out and won't rewind. Fortunately, the thing runs so well, I can start it after just a couple pulls with only 10% of the rope. When I get some downtime, my desire is to get it repaired. I tried to do it myself, but to tell you the truth, I hate fooling with those things. It took me about five minutes of effort before I realized I was about to make a bad thing worse. Sure hope it doesn't cost $105.:dizzy:

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ignition coil..........

Go ahead and try it, my guess is that the mounting holes for the coils will be different. 105 for an ignition coil is ROBBERY.

6. stevesmowing

I wondered if maybe they are diff. part numbers due to the length of the wire from the coil. Some things need a longer wire and since its all one part it would be a different part number.

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

By "wire" do you mean the plug cable?
    As long as you have enough length, you can cut off, or tuck away any excess length.

8. stevesmowing

yes, its the plug wire.

9. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry; I did not finish the thread.
    What I meant by this comment is, if you find a coil that has the proper hole pattern, will bolt up, and has the correct "leg" length such that it mates to flywheel, then any excess length of the plug wire is not an issue.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Revisit your dealer and get in his face man. Seriously though, I can get a ignition coil for my 17hp kawi for 55 dollars and it is much much larger than your shindy coil, they are trying to rip you off.