1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa Homepro 22DH Hedge Trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering if any of you guys use the Shindaiwa 22DH Homepro series hedge trimmers. I have a pair of the DH230's and am very happy with them, but they're a bit big/heavy/awkward for doing some of the smaller/finer work like little boxwood shrubs etc. I looked at them last year and thought they looked better built than the Echo professional models.

I also have the hedge trimmer for the multi-tool (split boom) and use that for some of the low hedges to avoid having to stoop over.

Comments on other brands of small high quality hedge trimmers are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I have the Echo 1500, their smallest cheapest ones (I think).
    I like them alot.
    I just did some hedge trimming the other day and after using my longer Tanakas, my arms were killing me! It was a relief to pick up the smaller/lighter Echo's to finish up with.

New on ebay...$200 shipped.
  3. Darryl G

Gogetter - I looked at those too last year. I liked the one with the rotating handle but was afraid that it was something that might break.

I'd get them from my dealer...I don't do mail order power equipment. To me the savings isn't that great. I like to be able to walk into where I bought it and plop it on the counter and get prompt service. I don't think you ever get the same treatment from a dealer if you didn't buy the equipment from them.
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I have the rotating handle on my Tanaka, but I hardly ever use it. But then again, I don't have any real big jobs.

As far as the savings not being worth it on ebay, I'd have to respectfully disagree.
    I have saved hundreds on several power equipment purchases.
    I had problems assembling a chainsaw I bought and called the local dealer. He said come on in, he assembled it, adjusted it, test ran it and gave it back to me with a smile.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting!
  5. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have a SHINDAWA home pro 22 & love it. It is light and starts prob. the best of any two stroke i have. I dont use it everyday
    so idont know how it would hold up for cont. use. I would recommend it highly.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

A large majority of my handheld stuff is Echo. Never had a problem, and they are well built. They call the hc-1500's a "light duty" hedge clipper, but I don't see why? I glanced at the Shindaiwa home pro stuff at the local dealer. It looked quality, but I'd have to think they've got to skimp somewhere or it would'nt be called homeowner grade. I notice Stihl has a similar line now too. I'd say unless the tool will only be used a few times a year, I'd look outside of the homepro line up.
  7. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Try the Echo HC-150....it is very lightweight which is perfect for hedge clipping and pretty inexpensive...nice commercial warranty as well.

Homepro units are made for homowners!! I tried one of their trimmers once and had problems so I got rid of it after only 1 year!!
  8. Darryl G

I'll probably go with the Echo. There's a good dealer locally and my Exmark dealer who's about 1/2 hour away also carries them. One is closed on Monday and the other on Wednesday, so between the two I should always be able to get what I need. However, the Shindaiwa and Stihl dealers are both open 7 days.

The only problem I'm having with going with Echo is that the one Echo piece I have is the 2400 Shredder Vac and I'm not at all impressed with it. Starts and runs well, but the design leaves a lot to be desired.
  9. Darryl G

Well, rainy day today so I looked at the Echo 1500. I'm really looking for something smaller and lighter...they're not much lighter than my 30 inch Shindaiwa.

I looked at the 22DH again and don't like the stamped blades...they look like the weak point, and at $249 they're not exactly cheap.