shindaiwa line trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tyranorbis, May 29, 2006.

1. tyranorbis

tyranorbis LawnSite Member

how durable is the plastic on there products mainly for the shields?
    i baught a new 2510x line trimmer the begining of the month and broke the shield each time i used it.
    ive gone through 2shields sofar, had to resort to stripping a throw away jhondeere trimmer i had laying around for the shield.
    i have babied the shindaiwa compared to what that jd has seen and the jd plastic never broke.
    is anybody else having the same problem with their newer trimmers?
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Shindawia 261 trimmer. We have replaced the throttle cable three times and the wire going to the kill switch comes loose alot. We don't use the guards so I don't know about that. We have 3 Stihl and the Shindawia the Stihl hold up alot better. We have one Stihl that is 7yrs old and the Shindawia is on it second season and we have already worked on it more. I won't be buying any more Shindawia's because they just dont hold up.
  3. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa used to have excellent products but the EPA is killing them!

The newer carb units don't run as well and they are hard to start and quite a bit heavier as well. We switched to Echo trimmers, hedge clippers and blowers last year and will never go back. We have had great success with the Echo products so far and they have a ton of hours on them.
  4. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

My dealer told me that I was the only one he has had with this problem. I have a T2510x and on the first day of use a chunk of the plastic fell off. After a couple days it became more and more. Yesterday the part that clips the excess string fell off... I now have to carry around scissors...

I am going to get my dealer to get me another one for free, can you put an echo or stilh on a shin?

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have one also that the shield has broke and I had to fix:nono: I love the trimmer though!!!
  6. BrandonLawns

BrandonLawns LawnSite Member

I take my shields off all my line trimmers. It lets more line out, therefore it enables you to cut faster.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i agree shin quality has gone down hill. my new 231 pales in comparison to my older 230. -i have switched to husky.
  8. tyranorbis

tyranorbis LawnSite Member

sofar all i had problems with is the shields, but now that the jd shield is on i wont be going back to dealer for shields. everything else is running perfect.
    only time will tell how well it holds up,

the sthil deffently wont fit, the echo dont look like it but could be wrong
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about the new shinnys but the old ones are great. I have an old T-20 trimmer that is used as a back-up machine. It still runs good when I use it!!!
  10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My shields held up fine. I finally took them off though, less weight! My T2500 has been awesome.