Shindaiwa M242 vs STIHL KM90R

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kawasaki guy, Oct 6, 2012.

1. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, their are probably thousands of threads on this, but which which one would you choose? STIHL KM90R or Shindaiwa M242

If you have a different brand or model you would choose, post a reply telling me what you would pick.

PS, If i get one, i will be running an older Ryobi trimmer and blower, and an edger attachment.

2. kawasaki guy

anyone?????

3. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

hello
    i have the km 130r it works great
    i have most of the attatchements.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I have the kombi 110 I think the 90 is a homeonwers model, although its still 2 stroke.

Your ryobi attachments will not fit.

5. kawasaki guy

isin't the 90 a 4-mix? the KM90R is also in the pro section on STIHL'S website.

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Km 90 no questions asked Iv never had the 242s but have used 230s 231s 260s 261s 270s and 10 282s. The rx100 is very sweet to we got one last year to test and were sold and are switching over.

7. kawasaki guy

what did you think of the shindy stuff you have? how often do you have to adjust the valves on 4-mix stuff?

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The 90 is definitely a 4 stroke/mix, and it is a pro grade trimmer, not homeowner machine. Stihl recommends a one time valve adjustment at 139 hours, or as needed depending on how the machine is running.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

The stihl 4 mix stuff I never adjust the valves the stuff runs good for years of heavy use which is why I like the brand. When I had the shin 4 mix trimmers they were each at the dealers half a dozen times that year. I didn't just run away I ran away from that stuff screaming. The shin 2 cycle is way better than their 4 mix but still lacks the endurance I demand in a handheld piece of equipment.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my shin 4 strokes lasted only 2 seasons.