1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa M254 vs Stihl Kombi

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Ormond32176, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

I was curious to see if anyone was using the m254, or had experience using the m254 and a comparable kombi. I am about to buy a new multitool and not sure which one to go with. I am currently using a km110, but it is on its last legs after 7ish years of service. I am going to buy all new attachments with either unit, so that is out of the equation. My concern is the Shindaiwa might not be strong enough. I am either getting it or the KM130. There is about a 15cc difference, but if the Shindaiwa has a stronger (or just more usable) motor, that could make up for it. Really, I am just not to familiar with the red trimmers, so some input would be great.

Would be mostly using the edger, weedeater, and hedgetrimmer attachments.
  2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about the power difference, however my plan is to switch from Sthil to Shindawia
  3. tdadkins00

tdadkins00 LawnSite Member

do you care to elaborate on why you are wanting to switch brands im am on the fence about both and trying to figure out which one to buy stihl vs shindaiwa that is
  4. rdwittmann

rdwittmann LawnSite Member

I will not touch a shindawia. I have the original Stihl FS85T that is the pre-curser to the KM. I have had it since it first cme out in the '90's. I need to get a new motor and put this one to back up status, but, it has been a great machine. I have not had good luck with my shindawia products.
  5. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

I have a shindaiwa edger and a KM130 that I use for a line trimmer and hedge trimmer. I've had great luck with both. When I worked for a friend he ran shindaiwa exclusively and was really impressed with his T242. The T243 was lighter than my current KM130. Both Stihl and shindaiwa seem to last forever. I think you'll be well served by either one; however id personally buy the shindaiwa.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Ormond32176

I've just heard Shindaiwas were good. I would buy another Stihl in a heart beat. This km110 I am using is old, used, and abused, and still runs fairly well. I just want to get something new and keep this as a back up.
  7. larryinalabama

My srhil stuff hasn't served me like I expected. I have a 1 year old km110 that has not ever been realible to start and is now dead. My original 110 in nearyly completely worn out in only 5 years. The only reason I haven't yet switched is because I have most of the attachments.
  8. Ormond32176

Try getting the valves checked.
  9. larryinalabama

Ill probably take it apart today. Arent the Shindawias 2 stroke?
  10. Ormond32176

The new ones have the 2/4 hybrid.