1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa Modification

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T-Bone, Apr 7, 2001.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

Has anyone thought about or tried to put a different handle
    on there LE 260 ? Something in the shape of the left half of a bike handle bar. The reason I ask is it seem there are times when you need both hands on the edger and it sure puts your body in a twist. Just thought maybe it would make edging easier for long periods of edging.

Whats your opinion?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I'm not familiar with the model you mentioned, but if it doesn't have the D handle on it, I won't use it. We have used the T27's and T270's for many years.
  3. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

I checked the difference between the LE260 and the T27 online and see what your saying. Will the handle adjust to one side on the T27.? If so then maybe I just need to advance my replacement this year and us the other for backup.

Thanks Eric
  4. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I have a LE260. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you need both hands on the edger. I use one hand to run the throttle, and the other holds the D shaped handle.

The handle is adjustable, you can rotate it if that's what you are looking to do.
  5. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

Under good circumstance I only use one hand on long stretches. The handle on the T 27 is different than mine. I was asking if the D handle will adjust to the left side.
  6. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I understand what you're saying now. :) I know the T270 is different from the LE260. I own both. Yes the handle on the LE260 will rotate. It will also slide up and down the shaft to wherever you want it. The D handle on my LE260 has a thumb screw to tighten it. Just loosen it and rotate the handle to wherever you want it and tighten it back down.
  7. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

Guess once again I didn't explain myself very well. But I did find the handle I was looking for, its the same as used on the Shindawia brushcutter, except left hand side only. One of my customers have 2 - 1/2 mile strech of side walks, by the time I have walked two miles edging, my lower back fills tweaked. I was trying to avoid the twisted torso.
    Would not think of mentioning and brand names, but it makes my shoulders hurt watching these guys use mowers that have the controls that you have to straddle. When I get home at night I don't want to fill like Iv'e been trying to craw through a five gallon bucket all day.

[Edited by T-Bone on 04-08-2001 at 06:03 PM]