Shindaiwa or Redmax Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by agriforestry, Mar 25, 2009.

1. agriforestry

agriforestry LawnSite Member

Guys I am looking to buy a new trimmer. I have an old Robin that has been an excellent trimmer but the time has come to get a new one and put the Robin on the rack as a backup. I have been looking at the Shindaiwa until today and I found I can get the Redmax for about $10 more. They are both the models that are just below $300.

Do any of you have any preference as I know they are both great products. Any help would be well recieved right now.

Thanks in advance.

2. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Redmax all the way

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Shinny combination unit and a Redmax trimmer. The Redmax unit has fouled the plug many times and the Shinny has. I wont buy another redmax.

4. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Do yourself a favor and buy a Stihl FS90... same price and a much more reliable machine in my opinion.

5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

just picked up a pair of redmax 230's for $400. i havent had a chance to use them in the field yet because the grass is dorment here still but they feel light and rev quick so they seem good.

on another note also bought the redmax 260 stick edger and this thing is a beast. it will eat sod for breakfast and spit out rocks for brunch all day.

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

sorry for the typo. The shinny has never fouled the plug.

7. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me when I say go out and find a T 260 Shindy. Get the ones that dont have the new Cadilitic converter on them. They may be hard to find in certain areas.. but look around.. you will find one. here they sell for 260.00. I have three. I wouldnt use anything else.

8. agriforestry

agriforestry LawnSite Member

Do you have the name of the place where you got yours, and would they ship? Here the Shinny T242 is $289. Sounds a little rediculas to me if you all can get these cheaper elsewhere it seams i can afford to ship it.

Thanks

9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Just wondering why you don't get another Robin? I know they are not as popular, but from what I hear the power to weight is good and they are a well built unit.

10. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

Check Brentwood Lawnmower Shop in Brentwood Tennessee.

There is another place. 96 Lawn on highway 96 in Burns or Fairview Tennessee. Oh and Call Green Hills Lawnmower In Nashville Tennessee.

I know these people have Shinnys and some may have the 260 without the Cadilitic converters.