1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa or Stihl?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcgruff, Jul 5, 2008.

1. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

Hey Everyone,
    I have been reading all I can , and i think this forum is fantastic and loaded with great information.

I am currently in the market for a trimmer and backpack blower. I currently have a stihl bp blower that is a few years old and I am having trouble with it.
    A friend told me about shindaiwa and though I have heard of them, I am not sure of the quality. I did a search and actually have an authorized dealer and service center within 5 miles of my house. Any insight or personal knowledge of Stihl and Shindaiwa would be greatly appreciated. As of now, I am not sure what to buy. Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Won't run anything but Shindaiwa. It's one of those questions: Ford or Chevy. Demo what you can. My blower is 6 years old and haven't done anything but put gas in it. My oldest trimmer is 8 years old and just changed the spark plug at the beginning of the year otherwise nothing to any of them.
  3. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

I never thought to demo either one of those,,,,,what do you do,,,,take it for a test run at the dealer or how does that work?
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to, yes. Now, I just buy 'em!
  5. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

I had and am having trouble with my stihl blower so I am looking at other options.. I will go demo a shindy this week. I never thought of that.
    thanks for the quick reply
  6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

"Shindy" EB630's here, and Stihl FS250R's you cannot go wrong with either
  7. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would vote for the Shindaiwa too. I won't bore you with my Stihl story. Some people have great service out of Stihl. I didn't.
  8. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, another interesting Shindy vs Stihl thread.
  9. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I bet you 3/4's of the kids on here don't even have there machines regularly maintained. Then go about bashing them. If your having problems with your equipment that you just bought, take it back to get it fixed for free.
  10. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

I wasnt bashing any thing or anyone. My blower is 5 years old..so its not new. I maintain my equipment, but I think after 5 years it should still be running strong. Took it to dealer twice and each time said nothing is wrong even though its only blowing about half power. Thats why I am currently looking for another since I am a bit frustrated with this one. :dizzy: