Shindaiwa Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Aug 9, 2003.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

When I asked my dealer why they quit carrying Shindaiwa equipment they told me the newer Shindaiwa equipment is only designed to last 300 hours!

I find this hard to believe, but I need to know if this is true? It seems at least some of the new Echo equipment is not what it used to be. Is the same true with Shindaiwa?-

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Former dealers often have other motive for giving out info. I can't speak for the newest Shindaiwa equipment, but I don't buy what the guy is telling you. Here is what I have found when trying to purchase Shindaiwa equipment from local dealers:

They would much rather push brand X, Y or Z that is the major player. Is there more profit in it for them? Dunno. They will often try to tell you how much better these other brands are, but with nothing to really back it up. I also have never, ever had a piece of Shindaiwa equipment go back to the dealer for anything. I can't say that for the Stihl and Echo stuff I have had in the past. Would it be in the dealer's best interest to sell a piece that never came back? ;)

They also try to throw the high replacement parts cost for Shindaiwa at you. I have found that to be flat out inaccurate. If anything, the availability and cost for your average Shindaiwa parts, at least the stuff I have needed, has been cheaper than the same part from X, Y or Z. And they get pretty much everything in a few days. Not once have I had to buy a replacement Shindaiwa part that took more than two days to get. So I don't no where they get that from.

I also had a theory that the local dealers did not particularly like the Shindaiwa distributor here, so they naturally tried to push something else.

3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about that, but my new Shindiawa 260 trimmer bounced out of my trimmer rack going about 25mph down a rough back street. Scuffed it up a little but still runs fine. One tuff trimmer IMO. Marc

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Shindaiwa stick edger I bought from another LCO who was going out of business. The thing is indestructible, I love it. I don't know any equipment people around here that sells the stuff. I find that equipment dealers try to sell you the stuff they have. Which maks sense, since they are trying to make a buck. Look around.

:D

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I used my first T-27 for 10 years before giving it to a friend. Yes I used it more than 30 hours a year! Shindaiwa also offers a 7 day, money back guarentee. I don't know of any other manufacturer that has this. I have 10 pieces of Shindaiwa equipment and I don't have much trouble with them.

6. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I am concerned about the newer trimmers. I already know that the older Shindaiwa equipment was great. I'm just wondering if the quality is still the same. Maybe nobody will be able to tell me untill 10 years from now. :)

7. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I would have to say their is no differense, your dealer could be upset with the distributor for Shindawia and that could be his reasoning.

8. Jlwnsrvce

Jlwnsrvce LawnSite Member

I have a T2500 trimmer. Although I cant compare to other brands because I havent owned any,I like this one. I have roughly 100 hours on it with no problems. Just bought and used the pruner attachment yesterday,I am pleased so far.One thing though,when it is cold it will take 3-6 pulls to get it started.

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Anything with "1" on it is new, and not as good. It's the new emission controls. I just took my 261 Stick edger back today.....didn't have the power of the regular 260, bogged down when throttled up. I had him order me a T-230( weedeater), the old kind, he actually got 6 in, I grabbed one, and will grab more soon. He said he couldn't find a 260 Stick edger, bummer. I would really love to have one. As for the 300 hours, no way. They may not have the raw power of the originals, but they still rock, and only minor adjustments were made to the carbs to produce the 261. There is something IN the carbs that can be tweaked to make them run like the 260's, but for almost $400.00, I told him I didn't want anything brand new that had to be tweaked.

Shindaiwa rocks!! My little 230 is much lighter than my 270, and almost the same power, I've been lugging that 270 beast around for years and years, I think this will be a nice little change.

~Nest

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I think I still have a line on T260's and LE260 edgers, but the T230 is getting scarce around these parts. I just picked up two new T230XB's within the last month or so from someone out of state. No, not a dealer ;)