Shindaiwa Speed Feed heads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&R Landscaping, Jul 29, 2007.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

How many people have used them? What are your opinions about them? I'm thinking about getting a T261 in the next week or two.
  2. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

we have the manual head on our 2 shindaiwa trimmers, i like to be able to control the amount of line on my head, because we took the shields off.
  3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

they have two sizes of speed feed heads the smaller one is my favorite becuase i can get it into alot of tight places that the bigger head won't get!Have fun an get the speed feed!!
  4. kklein

kklein LawnSite Member

I have a speed feed head on my Shindaiwa T231. It is faster than the head that comes with the original equipment - but there's a catch. Your string has to be a straight as possible when going through the head. If not, then you can end up fussing around and spending as much time as on the original head. The problem is that the trimmer line is always wound in the purchased packaging and retains that "memory". It wants to curl. You have to straighten that line and I kink it between my thumb and forefinger the opposite direction (sort of like when you you receive a mail tube, and roll the paper in the opposite direction to straighten it out). I hope I'm making sense here! Anyway, that's the trick.

Ken Klein
    Have Mower Will Travel
    Parker Performance Trailer 6'x 14'
    Hustler Mini-Z 52"
    Snapper 21" commercial
    Toro 21" Recycler
    Shindaiwa T231 String Trimmer
    Shindaiwa LE242 Edger
    Stilhl 55BG Blower
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

is the smaller size actually for sale now-i went to my dealer and asked for one and he didnt know what i was talking about
  6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If your dealer doesn't know about the 375 head, you should call the distributor and have a talk with them about their "behind the curve" dealer.
  7. gaither

gaither LawnSite Member

I think they are great. I had the bigger unit to replace a head on a old 231. I just recently got a new trimmer with the smaller head and it really cooks.
  8. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

ive got the speed feed on my t230 and its GREAT!!! and then round line (.95) lasts all day. i got mine probably a month ago and ive replaced it 4 times and i have 18 accounts!!!! its great. go with the speed feed fa sho. it wont let you down.
  9. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Have had several of them for 3 years now and they are great. Never had a problem with the line fusing or anything else. I can wind 25 feet of .105 line in literly 25-30 seconds. When new employees come on board, show them the first time, then they don't have any problems. I think it is one of the best inventions for our industry.

Just to clarify, some people think it is the head you put 2 pieces of 12" string in. No it is like a regular head that winds 25 feet of line, you just don't have to take it apart.

Great product
  10. neogeofan

neogeofan LawnSite Member

To Mr Mow it all. I dont know how to contact you directly but I once read a post where you said you owned a ferris 4500 and I just wanted to ask you about your thoughts on it. I am planning to buy one and any help would be appreciated