shindaiwa spewed gas all over me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Jan 13, 2005.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

i was using my shindaiwa eb-630 today (blowing snow off of walks and it worked great!) and when I was all done I noticed my whole backside was wet with gas.... I found out it was leaking from this little hose (Blue arrow). My question to you all is what is the problem here? Is it similar to my kawai when that started spitting gas out of a clear hose? (I took the carb off and cleaned it up and I havent had a problem since). Is this bp blower a similar problem? Also, don't these things normally have a fuel return line on them like my string trimmer and edger do? THere is another hose tucked back there (yellow arrows) that has a cap on it. I am wondering if these were at one time connected (i bought the blower used) or if one or the other pulled off the carb somewhere, I looked around and that didnt appear to be the case. I thought before I do anything more I would seek the proffesional help of all of you. Please let me know what you think....

shindaiwahelpphoto.JPG

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what the blue arrow is, but it looks like it should be connected to something.

the yellow arrows are your fuel breather line. it lets pressure out of the tanks if it get too hot.

3. sailinstud420

hey hawaii boy remember me? the kid from MI. Thanks for the help, I was thinking the same thing.... Can anyone identify the blue arrow and where it goes. I'll go take another look, maybe im just blind...

4. sailinstud420

I got it, it goes in the little black disk just above the blue arrow. It is true, im blind! While we are on the subject, anyone know of a good place with a good price on straps for this monster? The cheapest the dealer quoted me was something ridiculous like $17.95 per strap.....

5. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

The blue arrow is most likely your fuel return to the tank and should be in the tank grommet. The yellow arrow is your tank vent. If that vent is clogged up (they are replaceable) then your unit released it's fuel tank pressure in the only way it could.. by blowing out the "weakest link".

6. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Ehh.. I believe list is around $12 per strap. So, I guess if you add on special order freight, it could be $17.95. And they are sold in singles so that you don't have to pay to replace two if you only break one.

Also.. I guess my other reply was a little late.. you posted while I was typing.

By the way.. the part number for the pressure relief valve is 20035-85522 and should be somewhere around $7-$9.

7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Blue arrow looks like it should be hooked in the fuel filter...

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yes I do. stay warm!

9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like its a pressure relief line, keeps the gases from building up.

I'm thinking that your gas cap's vent is stopped up, or you're getting a pressure buildup from the crankcase causing the gas to shoot back out that line.

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I had the same thing happen to my EB630...The plastic piece goes down in the little round black diaphragm on the gas tank...Also, that hose can wear out pretty quick and will need to be replaced.

I wonder if the Stihl users ever have to deal with this kind of stuff?