1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa T-230 Multi Purpose

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by alpine692003, Aug 18, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm having a hard time starting my equipment, and I thought maybe you guys can help...

I have my articulating hedge trimmer attached to it..

STarting it up is no problem, I then start using it for like 15mins.. put it down and shut it off..

Thats when the problem starts to occur..

It will then take me like 15 pulls before it starts back up again!!

Whats wrong there?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like its overheating. try cleaning the fins off on the crankcase. Also pull the spark plug, fuel, & air filters and see if they're dirty.
  3. Greenservice

Greenservice LawnSite Member

I have the same problem with my T-230 and my Shindaiwa backpack blower. It's not a problem I recall having with other makes of 2-cycle equipment, but I know that if I throw in a cold sparkplug, the machine will fire right up. I'll check the fins on mine too. Thanks.
  4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

How does the plug look on it? What about the air filter? Is the fuel cap venting properly? What about the carb, it could be dirty/plugged as well.
  5. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Here are a couple of things to try.
    I have a Shind trimmer that won't start warm if I give it any gas (pulling on trigger). No choke please.
    It could be that the fuel is leaking back down and you need to pump the bulb up again, but don't use choke.
    I have Shindaiwa blower that wants to be choked hot or cold, so if the previous doesn't work, try this.
    You can also have problem with the sparkplug having too large a gap when it heats up and expands. Does the new plug also have a problem after it gets hot?
  6. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

If it starts right up after you put in another plug , maybr oyu are flooding it , check the plug when you take it out, if its wet you could be flooding it, All my eguipment is shindaiwa and have never had a problem on starting them, 1 pull ready to go,only have to use choke or primer on 1st start up of day, the shins are pretty tight, what works for other equipment, might not work for the shins, try different ways to start them. I have had all the other brands and the shindaiwa,s are the best Ive used
  7. 2001john

2001john LawnSite Member

Hi ,
    How did you get on with shindawia problem starting ?. I have the same trouble with my T-230 trimmer . Start first go o.k stop and it's hard to restart . If you could tell how you fixed your be much appreciated .
  8. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you have to change the fuel filter, lol..

After I changed that, it started up much better and runs better..
  9. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

If it still has the spark arrester screen it may be clogged with carbon or the exhaust port may have carbon built up in it. I would check both of these as well.
  10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i had the same problem. sometimes it would start sometimes it wouldn't. this was on my T231 before i got my 2510. Mine did it the first week i had the 231. It was the coil. check it with a spark tester.