Shindaiwa T-231

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsbmaine, Jul 25, 2006.

1. jsbmaine

jsbmaine LawnSite Member

I just bought one of these yesterday, it is by far the best trimmer I have ever used. I was going to get another redmax, because I really like my 2401s, but the redmax dealer was so rude I went up the road to the Shindaiwa guy. I'm really pleased with the power, weight, and how easy it is to start. Never takes more than two pulls cold, or one pull hot. Also, the new head they use is amazing- you dont have to take it apart to load line. It takes less than one minute to fill the head again. I think that makes it just a step above everything else.

Anybody else have a similar experience with these?

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, i bought one about a month ago. junk in my opinion. the EPA has made it worthless as compared to prior models. it loses power way too easy and i'm always tinkering with it to get it to run right. i'd take it back and get an echo if i was you. :drinkup:

3. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah...you should have had one when the were T-230's

The new T-231's are junk by comparison. Way less power and starting/running issues.

The EPA has killed Shindaiwa!

4. GLADULANDSCPING

GLADULANDSCPING LawnSite Member

had it for 2 years, light commercial duty, put a new carb on it, no compression next week. couldnt start it when it got hot!@ piece of junk!!

5. jsbmaine

jsbmaine LawnSite Member

I must be the only person in the world that likes these things...
    have to wait and see how it holds up I guess.
    You have to admit, the head is the best though

6. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I ain't got that model but I got a T-230X and I have had it for about 3 years... no probs at all, I only mow about 25 yards a week though but I love it no complaints.... Is the T-230X a commercial model???

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My T231 runs fine, and starts very easily, but it lacks power. Even the T230's lack power compared to the 260's and 270's.

Since it lacks power, and I have a few others, I dedicated the 231 with the hedge trimmer attachment, articulating, love it. Plenty of power for it.

For daily maintenance we still use the 260 and 270's.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the new shindawia head is too heavy. about 2x the weight of the regular head. the 231 is a dog. my 230 is the best trimmer i have had yet. blame the stupid epa.

9. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

I don't have a 231 but i do have about 10 t230's and they are by far the most durable trimmer i have ever used. Several of them are 8-10 years old. I also have purchased several of the T-2500 4 cycle trimmers and the jury is still out on them. But you are right for ease of loading the new heads are the cat's a**. Just thought i would drop my two cents in here, I also run a few Stihl FS 80 and 85's. very nice but not quite that nice.

10. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

also running a t231x and agree with the p.o.s. comments. I've taken it back to the dealer and they just blame the epa and that its fine. Shindaiwa has went downhill with those. A basic echo trimmer that you can pick up at home depot for 200 bux is better than these....i don't get it. Another problem i'm running into now is the head twists without the guard on. Had no problems in the past running like this and the dealer just makes me put it back on otherwise they won't touch it. safey bullshit. oh well thanks a lot epa!